The legendary Zahav Lamb Shoulder has been the signature dish of this groundbreaking Philadelphia restaurant since its debut more than 12 years ago. The process takes three days to complete (but less than an hour in your oven!).
An entire lamb shoulder is brined, smoked, confited, and finally bathed in a rich pomegranate glaze. The result is a melt-in-your-mouth experience that you can now enjoy in your own home for the very first time. This complete meal kit begins with Zahav’s famous Hummus with Pita and a selection of six Salatim (vegetable salads) like Beets with Tehina and Moroccan Carrots. The lamb shoulder is accompanied by Jasmine rice cooked with fragrant spices and finished with pistachios and currants. The meal is completed with Malabi, a traditional custard perfumed with orchid root and garnished with cranberry-rose jam.
Established in 2008, Philadelphia’s Zahav (Hebrew for “Gold”) is the trailblazing restaurant that helped put the rich melting pot of Israeli cuisine at the forefront of American dining today. Zahav is helmed by Chef Michael Solomonov, the beloved champion of Israel’s extraordinarily diverse and vibrant culinary landscape. In 2019, Zahav was named “Outstanding Restaurant” by the James Beard Foundation, and in 2017, Chef Solomonov was named the country’s “Outstanding Chef” by the James Beard Foundation.
This package serves 6 people and includes everything you need to make a 3-course meal featuring the Zahav Lamb Shoulder:
- Hummus (16 oz)
- Beets with Tehina (8 oz)
- Pickled Napa Cabbage (8 oz)
- Moroccan Carrots (8 oz)
- Matbucha (8 oz)
- Spicy Fennel (8 oz)
- Twice-cooked Eggplant (8 oz)
- Schug (4 oz)
- Harissa (4 oz)
- 12 Pitas (each pita is 3 oz and measures 6" in diameter)
- Pomegranate Lamb Shoulder (64 oz)
- Lamb Sauce (16 oz)
- Yellow Rice (24 oz)
- Rice Topping (Pistachios) (2 oz)
- Rice Topping (Currants) (2 oz)
- 6 Malabi with Cranberry and Rose
Hummus: Chickpeas, Tehina, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Cumin, Salt, Olive Oil
Beets with Tehina: Beets, Salt, Tehina, Lemon Juice, Garlic, Cumin, Olive Oil, Mint, Dill, Parsley
Pickled Napa Cabbage: Napa Cabbage, Red Onions, Red Wine Vinegar, Sumac, Mint, Dill, Parsley
Moroccan Carrots: Carrots, Harissa (Chile Peppers, Bell Peppers, Garlic, Red Wine Vinegar, Canola Oil, Caraway, Coriander, Cumin, Salt), Lemon, Salt, Sugar, Coriander, Black Lime, Cloves, Olive Oil, Cilantro, Mint, Dill, Pine Nuts
Matbucha: Onion, Garlic, Bell Peppers, Paprika, Coriander, Honey, Crushed Tomato, Salt, Lemon Juice, Cilantro, Olive Oil
Spicy Fennel: Fennel, Schug (Chile Peppers, Parsley, Cilantro, Coriander, Cardamom, Ginger, Garlic, Canola Oil), Lemon, Dill, Cilantro
Twice-Cooked Eggplant: Eggplant, Bell Peppers, Onions, Sherry Vinegar, Parsley, Salt, Canola Oil
Schug: Chile Peppers, Parsley, Cilantro, Coriander, Cardamom, Ginger, Garlic, Canola Oil
Harissa: Chile Peppers, Bell Peppers, Garlic, Red Wine Vinegar, Canola Oil, Caraway, Coriander, Cumin, Salt
Pita: Flour, Water, Sugar, Yeast, Salt
Pomegranate Lamb Shoulder: Lamb, Salt, Sugar, Black Pepper, Fennel Seed, Allspice, Canola Oil
Lamb Sauce: Lamb Stock, Veal Stock, Chicken Stock, Pomegranate, Chickpeas, Mint
Yellow Rice: Jasmine Rice, Turmeric, Ground Ginger, Cardamom, Black Pepper, Cumin
Rice Topping (Pistachios): Pistachios
Rice Topping (Currants): Currants, Tea
Malabi with Cranberry and Rose: Milk, Cream, Rose Water, Sugar, Orchid Root, Agar Agar, Cranberry, Pomegranate Juice, Rose Water, Orange Zest, Salt
Instructions / Storage
- Meal Kit ships fresh with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, place all items in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Enjoy within 3 days of arrival.
Zahav Lamb Shoulder
- 90 minutes before you are ready to eat, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and bring a pot of water to a simmer (large enough to hold the bag of rice).
- Remove all the items from the refrigerator (except for the Malabi) and allow them to come to room temperature.
- Remove the lamb shoulder from its bag and place in an oven-proof vessel (e.g. dutch oven, pyrex dish, roasting pan). If the lamb separates into two pieces, stack them together with the darker brown side up.
- Place the lamb in the oven.
- Place the bag of rice in the simmering water.
- Check the lamb after about 30 minutes. Using a ladle, baste the lamb with some of the fat that renders from the lamb. Repeat every 10 minutes or so.
- Wrap the pita in foil and place it in the oven
- After about an hour in the oven, check to see if the lamb is hot inside. You can do this by inserting the tip of a paring knife into the lamb for a few seconds and then checking it beneath your lower lip.
- Once the lamb is hot, remove most of the rendered fat from the vessel with a ladle and discard.
- Pour the container of sauce and chickpeas over the lamb and return to the oven.
- Baste the lamb every five minutes until the top of the lamb begins to caramelize and the sauce reaches the right consistency; it should nicely coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the lamb from the oven.
- Gently lift the lamb onto a platter and pour the sauce over the top.
- Remove the bag of rice from the simmering water and cut open into a large bowl. Add the pistachios and tea-soaked currants and gently fluff with a fork to combine and separate any clumps of rice.
- Remove the pita from the oven and arrange the hummus and salatim in serving dishes.
- Btei Avon! (Time to Eat)
- P.S. Don’t forget about the Malabi for dessert!
- Meal Kits from Zahav ship Tuesdays and Wednesdays of each week.
- Meal Kits from Abe Fisher ship Wednesdays and Thursdays of each week.
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes.
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.