Blum's Coffee Crunch Cake
“The Greatest Cake in History” – Nora Ephron
One of Valerie Gordon’s many talents is rediscovering historical California cakes. So, when the Los Angeles Times asked her to recreate the famous Coffee Crunch Cake from Blum’s Bakery, she was on the case. When the Blum’s stores closed in the ’80s, the recipe for this cake was such a well-kept secret it was at risk of disappearing forever.
Thanks to Valerie, fans old and new can rest easy knowing that this otherworldly cake has been resurrected. Featuring two layers of sponge cake in a delicate coffee whipped cream frosting, covered in delicious bits of crunch – it’s no wonder Nora Ephron used to ask Valerie Confections ship the cake to her.
This package serves 10-12 people and includes a 9" Blum’s Coffee Crunch Cake
- Crunch candies arrive packaged separately and are easily applied when the cake is ready to serve
Cake: sugar, flour, eggs, canola oil, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract, cream of tartar, salt Crunch: sugar, light corn syrup, coffee, baking soda
Coffee Whipped Cream: cream, sugar, instant coffee, vanilla extract
Instructions / Storage
- The Blum’s Coffee Crunch Cake ships frozen with dry ice
- Do not touch dry ice with bare hands
- Upon the receipt, the cake should be placed in the freezer and may be stored there up to 2 weeks
- The sealed bag of crunch should be left at room temperature
- Remove cake from the freezer
- Remove the plastic collar from the cake (while still frozen)
- Leave at room temperature, away from direct sunlight to thaw for 1.5 hours
- Once thawed, place crunch on the exterior of cake by lightly pressing handfuls of crunch into the whipped cream
- After serving, if there is any leftover, please refrigerate the cake
- The crunch will dissolve over time
- Cake may still be enjoyed up to 2 days after the thaw
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Valerie Confections ships Monday-Thursday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.