Homemade Tortillas (Totopos) DIY Kit + Tortilla Press
Taquiza’s signature totopos may be even more famous than its tacos! It all starts with organic blue corn planted in the spring and harvested in the fall at small, independent Midwestern farms. After being nixtamalized and stone-ground, the fresh masa is then hand-pressed and torn gently into hot oil, creating a unique corn chip that’s soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside. You’ll be making these chips yourself from fresh masa with an included tortilla press; don’t forget to dip them into the included house-made guacamole, fresh salsa, frijoles, and creamy queso!
Founded by Steve Santana in Miami Beach in 2014, Taquiza is a traditional Mexican taquería crafting authentic tacos and traditional Mexican street fare using only the highest quality available ingredients. Their signature blue masa is made with organic, non-GMO blue corn sourced from small, independent farms throughout the Midwest. All of Taquiza’s offerings are made with traditional techniques, ingredients, and recipes. It was also famously featured on “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives!”
This kit includes a tortilla press
This package serves 3-4 people and includes everything you need to make 40-50 Totopos:
- Tortilla Press
- 2 lbs. Masa
- 12 oz. Salsa
- 12 oz. Queso
- 12 oz. Frijoles
- 12 oz. Guacamole
- 12 Clear Sheets
- Number of Totopos may vary based on how large you make them
Blue Corn Masa – USDA Organic Corn, Lime, Water
Salsa – Tomato, Onion, Cilantro, Lime, Jalapeno, Salt
Guacamole – Avocado, Fresno Pepper, Onion, Lime, Salt
Queso – Cheese, Chiles, Peppers, Salt
Frijoles – Beans, Onions, Peppers, Garlic, Chiles
Instructions / Storage
- Package ship frozen with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Protein can be refrigerated for up to 4 days, frozen for up to 6 months
- Masa + Sauces + Cheese + Guacamole can be refrigerated for up to 4 days
- Take masa and knead like pasta dough until soft and pliable (ensure your hands are clean while doing this)
- Roll into balls (it will make 6 even portions) with your tortilla press add 1 clear sheet on the bottom, then the masa ball, then another clear sheet
- Press tortilla press just enough to press flat without smashing too thin (its ok to be a little bit on the thicker side!)
- Fry in 350 degrees oil or pan fry on each side totalling 3-4 minutes.
- Queso and frijoles dips can be microwaved in 30 second incriments until hot or put container (sealed) in a pot with water on the stove at a simmer.
- Taquiza ships Monday-Friday each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.