The cornerstone Tartine loaf. A super-wet, long-fermented bread inspired by pre-industrial French methods and techniques. Country bread is always naturally leavened with a starter we feed several times per day in order to cultivate particular flavor and leavening properties. The ingredients are flour, water, and salt. The flour we use is fresh-milled from single-variety grains. It is not refined, only lightly sifted to remove the coarsest part of the bran, so it retains almost all of the natural germ, oils and bran found in the whole grain.
Country bread is defined by it’s lacy, open crumb, it’s crisp, dark, shattering crust, and a taste that balances the fresh, earthy, sweet flavors of the grain with some light lactic and acidic flavors from the fermentation. Country bread can be eaten fresh or toasted for up to a week. After that it can be used for croutons, bread crumbs, or as a thickener for soups or sauces.
Tartine Bakery’s fresh breads emerge from Tartine Bakery’s ovens at 3:30 every day, and locals and tourists alike line up for their incomparable country loaves. Owners Prueitt and Robertson aren’t afraid to push the boundaries around sustainability and ingredient sourcing and are constantly innovating the artisanal bread-baking process. It’s no wonder their five books have won numerous awards, with two more in production. Fans include Mark Bittman of the New York Times, who called Tartine Bakery his “favorite bakery in the U.S.” and the James Beard Foundation, which awarded Prueitt and Robertson “Best Pastry Chefs in America.”
This package includes 2 Country Loaves
- Each loaf yields 15 slices
- Each loaf measures 13″ × 8″ and weighs 2.2 lbs.
- Choose to add a Muslin Bread Bag to your order
- Organic Cotton, perfect for storing your Tartine Loaf
Wheat, Water, Salt, Rice Flour
Instructions / Storage
- Breads arrived ready to unwrap and enjoy!
- May be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days
- To enjoy for longer, bread may be kept well wrapped and frozen
- Breads should not be refrigerated
- To serve from frozen, allow loaves to thaw at room temp and then refresh in 350 F oven
- Tartine Bakery ships Monday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.