The cornerstone Tartine loaf. A super-wet, long-fermented bread inspired by pre-industrial French methods and techniques. Country bread is always naturally leavened with a starter we feed several times per day in order to cultivate particular flavor and leavening properties. The ingredients are flour, water, and salt. The flour we use is fresh-milled from single-variety grains. It is not refined, only lightly sifted to remove the coarsest part of the bran, so it retains almost all of the natural germ, oils and bran found in the whole grain.
Country bread is defined by it’s lacy, open crumb, it’s crisp, dark, shattering crust, and a taste that balances the fresh, earthy, sweet flavors of the grain with some light lactic and acidic flavors from the fermentation. Country bread can be eaten fresh or toasted for up to a week. After that it can be used for croutons, bread crumbs, or as a thickener for soups or sauces.
This package includes 2 Country Loaves
- Each loaf yields 15 slices
- Each loaf measures 13″ × 8″ and weighs 2.2 lbs.
- Choose to add a Muslin Bread Bag to your order
- Organic Cotton, perfect for storing your Tartine Loaf
Wheat, Water, Salt, Rice Flour
Instructions / Storage
- Breads arrived ready to unwrap and enjoy!
- May be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days
- To enjoy for longer, bread may be kept well wrapped and frozen
- Breads should not be refrigerated
- To serve from frozen, allow loaves to thaw at room temp and then refresh in 350 F oven
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Tartine Bakery ships Monday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.