The first business in America to have “& Daughters” in its name, Russ & Daughters’ founder, Joel Russ, also humorously dubbed his three business partners – his daughters – the “Queens of Lake Sturgeon.” This nickname, along with the rest of the shopping bag’s idiosyncratic text, would have been given to a local printer. At this time, printing and graphic design were a single activity — wooden type blocks would
be mixed-and-matched according to what was on hand.
These bags had not been seen since the 1960s, until one was exhumed recently by writer, humorist, and beloved Russ & Daughters regular, Calvin Trillin — who
generously returned it back to the store 50 years after it was removed. This rare artifact from the store’s history now hangs on a wall in the cafe.
The shopping bag text was adapted for the paper shopping bags we use at Russ & Daughters today — and for this t-shirt!
- This package includes 1 Gray History Shopping Bag T-Shirt
- All sizes are unisex
This product is not eligible for discounts or promotions, unless otherwise noted. Also, it cannot be purchased with promotional gift cards or referral credits.
- Russ & Daughters ships Monday-Friday of each week
- No deliveries Sunday or Monday
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii will incur an additional $35 charge for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.