Gray Historic Shopping Bag T-Shirt
The first business in America to have “& Daughters” in its name, Russ & Daughters’ founder, Joel Russ, also humorously dubbed his three business partners – his daughters – the “Queens of Lake Sturgeon.” This nickname, along with the rest of the shopping bag’s idiosyncratic text, would have been given to a local printer. At this time, printing and graphic design were a single activity — wooden type blocks would
be mixed-and-matched according to what was on hand.
These bags had not been seen since the 1960s, until one was exhumed recently by writer, humorist, and beloved Russ & Daughters regular, Calvin Trillin — who
generously returned it back to the store 50 years after it was removed. This rare artifact from the store’s history now hangs on a wall in the cafe.
The shopping bag text was adapted for the paper shopping bags we use at Russ & Daughters today — and for this t-shirt!
- This package includes 1 Gray History Shopping Bag T-Shirt
- All sizes are unisex
This product is not eligible for discounts or promotions, unless otherwise noted. Also, it cannot be purchased with promotional gift cards or referral credits.
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Russ & Daughters ships Monday-Friday of each week
- No deliveries Sunday or Monday
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii will incur an additional $35 charge for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.