Whether you know them as po’ boys, po-boys, or poor boys, the Poor Boy sandwich is as essential to New Orleans as Mardi Gras. Invented during the 1929 Streetcar Strike, the people of New Orlean’s gathered together to feed 1,800 hungry men by creating hearty sandwiches of roast beef. Often, proprietors would yell “Here comes another poor boy!” when a worker would approach looking for a meal. In solidarity, Parkway added the “Poor Boy” to their menu that year and fed union members and conductors poor boys for free.
Parkway Bakery and Tavern first opened for business in 1911, and now, over a century later, they remain a landmark to old-timers and youngsters alike. Their Poor Boy features delicious roast beef in gravy and swiss cheese on an impossibly soft French bread, “dressed” with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and mayo of course. These Poor Boys are a piece of historical and culinary wonder you can’t miss.
This complete meal kit is also includes Parkway’s delicious bread pudding and Zapp’s Potato Chips.
This package serves up to 8 people and includes:
- 64 oz. Roast Beef in Gravy
- 4 loaves Fresh Baked French Bread
- Swiss Cheese
- “Dressing” – lettuce, pickles, & mayo
- 4 house-made Bread Puddings
- 8 bags Zapp’s Potato Chips
Beef, Dairy, Garlic, Onions, Carrots, Onions, Celery, Bay Leaves, Thyme, Wheat, Gluten, Eggs
Instructions / Storage
- Poor Boys ship with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival store in poor boys in the fridge for 2-3 days
- Poor Boys may also be stored frozen for up to 3 months
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Pour Roast Beef and Gravy in a small roasting dish and cover with aluminum foil
- Let heat for 30-45 minutes
- When roast is hot then place the sliced french bread on baking sheet sliced sides up for 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted
- Build your Po’Boy from the bottom up. Bread, 3 slices of swiss, tong or fork hot roast beef and gravy (add more gravy if desired), lettuce, 3 slices of tomato, pickles, spread mayo on bottom side of the top bread (the more the better!), place top on and cut with a serrated knife on a slight angle all the way through.
- Now you are ready to dive into the best Poorboy you will ever have!
Bread Pudding Directions:
- Place pudding and all sauce on a small dessert dish
- Microwave for 1-1.5 minutes or until steaming hot
- Best eaten with a spoon
- Parkway Barkery & Tavern ships Monday – Wednesday of each week.
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes.
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via express will incur an additional $20 for 2-day and $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.