When the restaurant opened in 1938, it catered to lines of longshoremen and laborers, newspapermen, and businessmen. Situated between a thriving waterfront and the courthouse, Poydras Street was a working-class neighborhood. Food tastes were simple, and Mother’s ham became a classic that has stood the test of time. This bone-in ham is supplied by a local meatpacking company. The magic happens in the ovens—the recipe has been a very closely-held secret for almost a century.
In the restaurant, ham is served three ways: 1) Black (thin slices of the seasoned crust), 2) Fried (pan-fried thick-cut slices or steaks), and 3) sliced (for sandwiches, etc.). Chunks of ham can also be used to season a pot of red beans, used in soups and stews, or added to season vegetables (e.g., cabbage, turnip greens, etc.).
If you know New Orleans, you know Mother’s! Mother’s is a must-visit for anyone who wants a true taste of the Big Easy. Simon and Mary (Mother) Landry opened it as a humble po’boy shop in 1938, and in 1986 their sons Jacques and Eddie sold the business to current owners Jerry and John Amato, who expanded the menu but changed little else. Today, Mother’s remains a regular haunt for locals and tourists alike, who line up to order now-iconic dishes like roast beef “debris” (pronounced DAY-bree), the “World’s Best” baked ham, and decadent bread pudding laced with brandy butter sauce. Mother’s is undeniably one of the most iconic restaurants in all of New Orleans!
This package serves 20-30 people and includes a Whole Baked Ham (approx. 17-19 lbs.)
- Ham arrives fully cooked
Pork, Salt, Seasonings; Cured With Water, Brown Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sugar, Hydrolyzed Soy And Corn Protein, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.
Instructions / Storage
- Ham ships fresh with ice packs, may thaw during transit.
- Upon arrival, store ham in the refrigerator.
- Ham lasts up to 7 days in the refrigerator, do not freeze.
- Allow ham to thaw and reach room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place a wire rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Fill the baking pan with approximately 1 inch of water and place ham on the rack (do not allow water to touch the ham).
- Cover loosely with foil to prevent drying out.
- Place baking pan with ham in oven for approximately 45 minutes (do not allow the ham to
- Remove ham from the oven and allow ham to rest in the pan for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- Slice ham towards the bone (not along its length).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Mother’s Restaurant ships Wednesday and Thursday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.