The Bo Ssäm has been a menu mainstay since the early days of Momofuku Ssäm Bar. To make the Bo Ssäm, a pork shoulder is cured in salt and sugar overnight before being slowly roasted for 6 to 8 hours. All you have to do for the full Bo Ssäm experience is reheat it in your oven and coat it with the included brown sugar glaze. In the spirit of “ssäm,” which is Korean for “enclosed” or “wrapped,” you’re encouraged to use lettuce (not included) and King’s Hawaiian buns to make wraps and sandwiches with Korean red pepper sauce and ginger scallion sauce. A fried rice kit is also included; toss in some kimchi or leftover pork shoulder!
Few chefs, and restaurants, have done more to influence restaurant dining in America over the past two decades than David Chang and his Momofuku. But what’s today a certified empire with restaurants around the world began way back in 2004, with the opening of Momofuku Noodle Bar in New York City. From then on Momofuku became synonymous with edgy, super-inventive spins on Asian cuisine in casual, minimalist dining rooms.
This package serves 8-10 people and includes:
- 1 Pork Shoulder (88 oz.)
- 10.5 oz. Brown Sugar Glaze
- 11 oz. Kimchi
- 12 Pcs. King’s Hawaiian buns
- 28 oz. Cooked Jasmine Rice
- 7 oz. Fried Rice Seasoning Sauce Mix
- 12 oz. Korean Red Pepper Sauce
- 11 oz. Ginger Scallion Sauce
- 11 oz. Napa Cabbage Kimchi
- Choose to add more!
Add On Options Include:
- 1 Jar of Chili Crunch
- 2 Jars of Chili Crunch
- Jars of Chili Crunch are 5.3 oz each.
Recommended fresh ingredients to acquire for lettuce wraps: Bibb Lettuce, Mint, Thai basil, Cilantro
Pork Shoulder – Pork, Kosher Salt, Sugar, Brown sugar, Black Peppercorn, Fish Sauce, Napa Cabbage, Ginger, Garlic, Scallions, Sherry Vinegar, Gochujang (korean chili paste), Gochugaru (korean chili flakes), Sesame oil, White Miso, Soy Sauce, Mirin Cooking Rice wine, Grapeseed Oil.
King’s Hawaiian Rolls – Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Sugar, Liquid Sugar (Sugar, Water), Butter (Pasteurized Cream, Salt), Eggs, Contains Less Than 2% Of Each Of The Following: Potato Flour, Yeast, Whey, Nonfat Milk, Soy Flour, Salt, Degerminated Yellow Corn Flour, Wheat Gluten, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Datem, Monocalcium Phosphate, Wheat Flour, Calcium Sulfate, Sodium Silicoaluminate, Ascorbic Acid Added As A Dough Conditioner, Ammonium Sulfate, Wheat Starch, Sorbitan Monostearate, Enzymes, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Calcium Silicate.
Chili Crunch – Grapeseed Oil, Puya Chile, Coconut Sugar, Onion, Garlic, Sesame Seeds, Japones Chiles, Chili de Arbol, Shiitake Mushroom Powder, Salt, Red Bell Pepper Powder, Shallots (Freeze-fried), Yeast Extract, Seaweed. Contains: Sesame
Instructions / Storage
- This package ships with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, remove contents from packaging and store in the fridge until ready to use
- Martin’s Dinner Rolls may be kept at room temperature
- Bo Ssäm may be consumed immediately, or kept in the fridge for 1-2 days.
- Freezing is not recommended
- Chili Crunch can be stored at room temperature and is shelf stable
- Make sure the Bo Ssäm is no longer frozen. Unwrap the Bo Ssäm, and wrap it with aluminum foil.
- Allow the Bo Ssäm to come to room temperature for 60-90 minutes. Preheat oven to 325-350° F.
- Place on a roasting tray, in the center of the oven.
- Heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, checking the internal temperature after 30 minutes. Timing will differ with the type of oven you’ll be using.
- If using a meat thermometer, the temperature should read 165 – 180° F. If using a cake tester, it should feel warm to the touch.
- When ready, remove foil, raise the temperature to 425° F, and pour the glaze over the Bo Ssäm.
- Return to the oven, and check it every 3 minutes, spooning the glaze over the meat each time for a total of 4–5 times.
- To serve, use tongs to pull apart the Bo Ssäm and make lettuce wraps or sandwiches on the King’s Hawaiian buns.
- Garnish with herbs, kimchi and sauces.
Simple Fried Rice
- Break up the cold rice so there are no clumps.
- Heat a non-stick skillet, cast-iron pan, or wok over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add some of the ginger scallion sauce to the pan and cook until fragrant.
- Add cold rice and stir to coat the rice in the ginger scallion sauce. Continue to cook for 1–2 minutes.
- Using a spatula or spoon, make a well in the center of the pan.
- Beat one egg per person (not included) and add to the well, stirring until the eggs are just scrambled.
- Season with fried rice kit, using one tablespoon at a time until it’s to your liking.
- Momofuku ships Monday through Friday each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.