Veggie Ramen Kit for 4
This soup was created as a pure representation of a classic shoyu ramen with one big difference: the broth is vegetarian! The idea was to create a pure, clean broth that is enhanced by shoyu tare and a special “vegetarian fat.” It’s served with roasted tomato, enoki mushrooms, and koji tofu. The specially formulated noodles are made with rye flour.
Ivan Orkin fell in love with Japanese cuisine while working as a dishwasher at a sushi bar at age 15. After culinary school and jobs in some of NYC’s top kitchens, he moved to Japan full-time, and at the suggestion of his wife, he opened a ramen shop. This move seemed destined for failure in a country where ramen enjoys a cult-like status. Incredibly, Ivan not only succeeded, but it became one of the top ramen shops in Tokyo. In 2012, he made a triumphant return to New York, and the following year he opened Ivan Ramen there to huge crowds and critical acclaim.
This package serves 4 people and includes everything you need to make 4 bowls of veggie ramen.
- Each ramen kit serves 2 people.
- Choose to add a Cookbook
- 1 copy of The Gaijin Cookbook: Japanese Recipes from a Chef, Father, Eater, and Lifelong Outsider
- 1 copy of Ivan Ramen: Love, Obsession, and Recipes from Tokyo’s Most Unlikely Noodle Joint
Veggie Ramen Kit Includes:
- Scallions (2.5 oz.)
- 4 Slices Roasted Tomato (each 1.5")
- 8 pcs. Tofu Koji (each 1")
- Enoki Mushrooms (7 oz.)
- Mesclun (4 oz.)
- 4 Portions of Rye Noodles (each 3.9 oz.)
- Vegetable Fat (3 oz.)
- Shoyu Tare (5 oz.)
- Soy Reduction (2 oz.)
- Vegetable Broth (38 oz.)
- Roasted Tomato – Tomato, Garlic, Canola Oil, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, White Sugar, Water, Sea Salt
- Tofu Koji – Tofu [Water, Non-GMO Soybeans, Nigari (Magnesium Chloride)] Koji (Koji Cultured Rice, Filtered Water, Sea Salt, Alcohol)
- Enoki Mushrooms
- Rye Noodles – Wheat Flour [Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid], Water, Rye Flour, Contains 1% Or Less Of Wheat Gluten, Salt, Kansui (Sodium Carbonate, Potassium Carbonate, Sago Starch
- Vegetable Fat – Aonori, Kombu, Chipotle Powder, Oil Canola, Garlic
- Shoyu Tare – Onion, Apple, Garlic, Ginger, Canola Oil, Soy Sauce [Soybeans, Wheat, Salt, Alcohol, Water], Sake, Mirin [Glucose Syrup, Alcohol, Rice, Corn Syrup, Salt, Water]
- Vegetable Soup – Onion, Cabbage, Carrot, Leek, Eggplant, Garlic, Shiitake Dried, Canola Oil, Kosher Salt
ALLERGENS Contains: Soy, Wheat, Gluten
Instructions / Storage
- This package ships partially frozen with ice packs, may thaw in transit.
- The Chef recommends this kit be cooked within 2 days of receiving it. * Upon arrival, place ingredients in the refrigerator until you’re ready to prepare.
- If planning to cook outside the recommended window, place vegetable broth, vegetable fat, shoyu tare, soy reduction, Pork Chashu and rye noodles in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
- For all remaining ingredients, freezing is not recommended.
- Shoyu tare, soy reduction can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
- Vegetable fat can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Rye noodles can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Vegetable broth, roasted tomatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Tofu koji, enoki mushrooms can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Scallions, mesclun can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- Set roasted tomatoes, koji tofu, enoki mushroom, and rye noodles aside to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Keep mesclun in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place the bags of vegetable fat, shoyu tare and soy reduction (in original packaging) into a bowl of warm water until ready to use.
- In a large pot, bring 6 quarts of unsalted water to a boil. Make sure there is enough water to keep at a rolling boil once noodles are added.
- In another pot, combine the vegetable soup, vegetable fat, shoyu tare and soy reduction with a whisk. Bring to a boil then remove from heat immediately. Note: Do not allow the soup to boil continuously, this will make it salty as it reduces.
- Once the water for the noodles comes to a rolling boil, gently add the noodles and cook for 50-60 seconds until al dente, stirring constantly; Drain thoroughly in a strainer.
- Place the noodles at the center of the bowls, evenly divided.
- With a ladle, carefully divide the hot soup evenly between the bowls.
- Working clockwise, place the roasted tomatoes next to the ramen, followed by the tofu koji, mesclun, then finishing with sliced scallions. Prop a small bunch of enoki mushrooms up against the side of the bowl.
- Enjoy and happy slurping!
- Ivan Ramen ships Monday through Friday
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.