Salpicón is a regional dish from Central and South America of crumbled, ground, or shredded beef. It means “medley” or “mixed bag” in Spanish. Chef Traci Des Jardins flips salpicón into tostada form, using crispy corn tostadas, creamy pinto beans, and meaty crumbled Impossible™ Burger. For added zest, she tops it off with a dollop of guacamole, spicy arbol salsa, pickled onions for an acidic punch, and fresh cilantro. This recipe also incorporates guajillo (a type of chile) sofrito. Sofrito is a foundational Latin American tomato-based sauce of pesto consistency used for flavoring meats, fish, stews, beans, and rice.
California native Chef Traci Des Jardins is a two-time James Beard award-winner. Des Jardins draws influence from her Mexican and French-Acadian grandparents, who taught her how to cook and inspired her passion for food. She has operated award-winning restaurants, including her former flagship Jardinière, The Commissary, and Arguello, inspired from Des Jardins’ heritage and travels throughout Mexico. Des Jardins serves as Culinary Advisor to Impossible Foods and was among the first chefs to put Impossible Foods’ Impossible Burger on her menu.
Impossible Foods makes delicious meat from plants with a much smaller environmental footprint than meat from animals. Impossible Burger is made for your beef cravings — it cooks like ground beef and has as much protein as 80/20 ground beef.
This package serves 4 people and includes everything you need to make Impossible™ Salpicón Tostadas:
- 12 oz. Impossible Burger Pack
- 16 oz. Pinto Bean Puree
- 6 oz. Guajillo Sofrito
- 8 oz. Guacamole
- 3 oz. Pickled Onions
- 6 oz. Arbol Salsa
- 12 Corn Tostada Shells
- 1 Bunch Cilantro
- Corn Tostada Shells arrive in 2 packs of 6 pieces each
Impossible Burger— ALLERGEN: Soy
Pinto Bean Puree — Pinto Beans, Onions, Garlic, Cilantro, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Guajillo Sofrito — Dried Guajillo Chiles, Garlic, Onion, Olive Oil
Guacamole — Avocado, Lime, White Onion, Cilantro, Serrano Chile
Pickled Onions — Red Onion, White Wine Vinegar, Mexican Oregano
Habanero Chile Arbol Salsa — Tomatillos, Garlic, Onion, Arbol Chile
Corn Tostada Shells — ALLERGEN: Soy (fried in soybean oil)
Instructions / Storage
- This package ships fresh with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Refrigerate all ingredients except tostada shells immediately upon receipt
- Use Impossible Burger, Tostada Shells, Pinto Bean Puree, Guajillo Sofrito, Pickled Onions, and Arbol Salsa within 5 days of receipt
- Once opened, use Impossible Burger within 3 days or refreeze and use by date on package.
- Guacamole should be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days
Prep the Toppings
- Remove salsa from fridge and bring to room temperature
- Drain pickled onions
- Chop one half of the cilantro leaves, discarding the stems
- Reserve remaining cilantro for garnish
- Set aside
Cook the Impossible Burger and Pinto Beans
- Add a drizzle of vegetable oil to a skillet over medium-high heat
- Allow the pan to get hot
- Add the Impossible Burger along with one teaspoon of salt to the pan
- Using a spatula, cook Impossible Burger, breaking apart until it begins to brown
- Stir occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
- Add guajillo sofrito and mix for another minute
- Remove from heat and add the chopped cilantro
- Heat pinto bean puree in a saucepan over low heat until thoroughly heated, up to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Alternatively, heat in a microwave-proof dish for 2-3 minutes.
Serve, Share, and Enjoy!
- Place the tostada shells on a tray and divide the pinto beans onto shells
- Top with the Impossible mixture, separated evenly
- Garnish with guacamole, pickled onions, salsa, and remaining cilantro sprigs
- Impossible Foods ships Monday through Friday each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.