Pan seared This Little Goat went to Korea-marinated skirt steak, with hints of gochujang, brown sugar, garlic and soy. Served as build-your-own lettuce wraps with a sweet & savory apple salad, quick-pickled veggies, creamy dipping sauce, crispy green leaf lettuce and plenty of fresh herbs. Served alongside a deliciously bright and bold veggie glass noodle salad. Each kit includes a bottle of This Little Goat went to Korea sauce from Chef Stephanie Izard’s “This Little Goat” line of globally inspired sauces, spices and everything crunches.
Since it first opened its doors in the Windy City’s Fulton Market District in 2010, few Chicago restaurants have been so consistently praised—and packed—as Stephanie Izard’s Girl & The Goat. James Beard award-winning chef Izard’s bold, globetrotting flavors defy easy categorization, but every item on her family-style menu is wildly creative and insanely delicious. Izard is renowned as one of America’s best chefs: she won Season 1 of “Iron Chef Gauntlet” and Season 4 of "Top Chef” and took home the James Beard Award for Best Chef Great Lakes in 2013. One of the best restaurants in Chicago, Girl & The Goat was a 2011 James Beard Award "Best New Restaurant” finalist.
Kits Require Home Cooking
This package serves 4 people and includes:
- Skirt Steak (1 lb.)
- Sweet Potato Glass Noodles (Japchae noodles) (4 oz.)
- Carrot Matchsticks (4 oz.)
- Daikon Radish Matchsticks (4 oz.)
- 2-3 Persian Cucumbers
- 2 Small or 1 Medium Apple
- 1 head Lettuce
- 1 bunch Mint
- 1 bunch Scallions
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1" Knob Ginger
- 4-6 cloves Garlic
- 1 head Baby Bok Choy
- 1.25 Cups Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar
- Toasted White Sesame Seeds (1 oz.)
- Kewpie Mayo (4 oz.)
- 1 bottle This Little Goat Went to Korea (13 oz.)
This Little Goat went to Korea – Gochujang Paste (Corn Syrup, Rice, Water, Chili Powder, Salt, Alcohol, Garlic, Yeast Extract, Onion, Fermented Soybean Powder, Thiamin (Vitamin B1), Koji Seed), White Miso Paste (Water, Soybeans, Rice, Salt, Alcohol), Malt Vinegar, Cane Sugar, Tamari Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Sugar) Water, Canola Oil, Garlic, Ginger, Granulated Tamari Soy Sauce (Soy Sauce (Soybeans, Salt, Sugar) Maltodextrin, Salt), Cultured Dextrose, Molasses, Salt, Gochugaru Chile Flakes (Dried Chiles)
Baby Bok Choy
Seasoned Rice Wine Vinegar – Rice Vinegar, Sugar, Salt
Sweet Potato Glass Noodles (Japchae noodles) – Sweet Potato Starch
Toasted White Sesame Seeds
Kewpie Mayonnaise – Vegetable Oil, Egg Yolk, Vinegar, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Natural Flavor
Instructions / Storage
- Kit ships with ice packs, will not arrive frozen
- Upon arrival place immediately in the fridge
- Steak can be kept for 3-5 days in the fridge, or up to 6 months frozen
- This Little Goat went to Korea must be refrigerated after opening
- All produce should be stored in the fridge
- Vinegar, noodles, and seeds should be stored at room temperature
Make Korea-marinated skirt steak lettuce wraps with apple salad and quick-pickled veggies
- Make your pickled veggies
- Slice the cucumbers into thin rounds and place in a medium-sized mixing bowl along with your carrots and daikon matchsticks.
- Combine 1 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar and ⅓ cup water to a small saucepan or microwave safe bowl. Warm for about 30 seconds – 1 minute, until warm to the touch.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the veggies, making sure they are completely submerged.
- Set aside, allowing your veggies to achieve a quick pickle, while you prepare the rest of your dish (about 25-35 minutes).
- Make your Dipping Sauce
- Whisk ½ cup Kewpie mayo with about ¼ cup This Little Goat went to Korea sauce until combined. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Cook your steak
- Season both sides of your skirt steak with kosher salt. Place in a large mixing bowl or baking dish and toss with about ½ cup This Little Goat went to Korea sauce.
- Preheat a griddle, grill-pan or large skillet to medium-high/high heat and coat with a drizzle of cooking oil.
- Once hot, place steak on the grill (you should hear it sizzle) and grill until well-charred on both sides and cooked through to desired doneness, about 3-4 minutes per side for medium. (Or, if preferred, sear your steak in a pan for about 1 minute per side, then transfer to a 350 degree oven until cooked through to desired doneness).
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minute before slicing.
- Make your quick apple kimchi
- Remove the core from the apples and thinly slice.
- Place in a mixing bowl along with about 1 tablespoon This Little Goat went to Korea sauce and ¼ cup sliced scallion whites. Toss to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and set aside until ready to serve.
- Plate and serve
- Slice the meat, across the grain, into thin strips, about ½-inch thick and 3-4 inches long. (Note: Cutting across the grain makes a big difference in having chewy and tough versus deliciously tender meat. Make sure you don’t skip this step, it’s important!).
- Drain your pickled veggies.
- Serve sliced skirt steak on crisp lettuce leaves, topped with pickled veggies, sliced scallion greens, and fresh mint. Serve alongside Korea-spiced mayo dipping sauce and apple kimchi!
Veggie Glass Noodles
- Fill a pot with salted-water and bring to a boil. Add in the noodles and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and toss with a drizzle of sesame oil to prevent the noodles from sticking.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat and coat with a drizzle of cooking oil. Add in the sliced onion and a pinch of kosher salt. Sauté until tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and continue cooking until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 1-2 minutes more. Add in the bok choy and let cook until just wilted.
- Toss in the noodles, ¼ cup This Little Goat went to Korea sauce and a pinch of kosher salt. Continue sautéing until coated. Let cook for about 1 minute more, until everything is well combined and warmed through.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds, pickled veggies, sliced scallion, and freshly-torn mint leaves.
- Girl & The Goat ships Monday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.