Clay pot steamed rice with a dashi marinade, topped with salt grilled salmon, fresh salmon roe, and shiso chiffonade. You can make this comforting dish at home in whatever pot you have! Enjoy with obanzai, small seasonal dishes from Kyoto which include Satsumaimo Kanroni (Japanese sweet potatoes simmered in a sweet broth with a hint of soy sauce), Pirikara Zenmai (Asian royal fern tossed with a savory, spicy soy sauce), and Kinoko (Shiitake, maitake, shimeji, and enoki mushrooms marinated in a seaweed broth).
Be sure to add on EN’s signature homemade tofu kit! If you’ve never experienced freshly-made tofu before, this dish will change your life. Served warm or cold, the silky texture of fresh tofu finished with wari-joyu and a little sea salt will transport you to Japan.
EN Japanese Brasserie was founded by star restaurateur Reika Alexander in New York City’s West Village in 2004, and since then it’s established itself as the city’s premier destination for seasonally-inspired, authentic Japanese cuisine. The true flavors of Japan are presented in its thoughtful and nuanced offerings, which have been beloved by in-the-know New Yorkers for more than 15 years and can now be enjoyed in the comfort of your own home.
This package serves 2 people and includes:
- 4 pcs. Salmon (each approx. 1 oz.)
- Dashi Rice (7.1 oz.)
- Salmon Roe (0.25 oz.)
- Shiso (1 g)
- Satsumaimo (Sweet Potato) (approx. 5 oz.)
- Zenmai (Royal Fern): (approx. 3.3 oz.)
- Kinoko (Mushroom): (approx. 3.3 oz.)
- Choose to add a Homemade DIY Tofu Kit
- Choose to add a Thermometer
Homemade DIY Tofu Kit Add-On
- Soy Milk (1 ltr.)
- Nigari – Solidifying Agent (20 ml)
- Wari-joyu – A slightly sweet mix of soy sauce and fish broth (2 oz.)
- Kit serves 2-3 people
- Salmon – *Atlantic Salmon, Salt, Dashi (Kelp and Bonito Flakes), Short Grain Rice, Sake, Mirin, Soy Sauce, Salt
- Dashi Rice – Dashi (Kelp and Bonito Flakes), Short Grain Rice, Sake, Mirin, Soy Sauce, Salt
- Obanzai – Maitake Mushroom, Shimeji Mushroom, Enoki Mushroom, Shiitake Mushroom, Fiddlehead Ferns, Gluten-Free Soy Sauce, Sugar, Sake, Mirin, Sesame Oil, Shichimi Togarashi (Pepper), Salt, Japanese Sweet Potatoes, Sugar, Light Soy Sauce, Edamame, Bonito Flakes, Dashi (Bonito Flakes, Water, Kelp)
- Homemade Tofu Kit – Soy Milk, Nigari (Natural Magnesium Chloride)
Instructions / Storage
- This kit ships frozen with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, place Salmon and Rice in the refrigerator for 1-2 days or freezer for 2-3 months
- Place Obanzai and Roe in the refrigerator for 1-2 days, freezing not recommended
- Remove the dashi soaked rice from the packaging.
- Put the rice into a pot with a lid (if you do not have a lid you can cover the pot with aluminum foil)
- Lightly salt the salmon and place in an oven (350 degrees) for 10 minutes to lightly cook the salmon.
- Cook the rice at high heat until the dashi starts to boil, at that point turn the fire down to low and cook for 16 minutes.
- After 16 minutes remove the pot from the heat, place the salmon on top of the rice, and cover.
- Steam for an additional 8 minutes. Salmon should reach an internal temperature of 145 degrees.
- The obanzai can be plated and enjoyed either cold or at room temperature
- En Japanese Brasserie ships Wednesday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.