Green Chile Cheese Mini Chimichangas - 36 Pack
These mini chimichangas start with flour tortillas, which are filled with mild green chiles and cheddar and deep fried. They’re served with enchilada sauce!
El Charro’s legendary Tia Monica Flin is well-known as “The Inventor of The Chimichanga.” While frying her now famous El Charro ground beef tacos, she accidentally dropped a burro into the frying pan and when the oil splashed up she was about to shout a common Spanish cuss word starting with “Ch.” But because she was amongst her young nieces and nephews, she changed it to “Chimichanga,” the equivalent of “thingamajig.” And a legend was born!
El Charro Café was founded in Tucson way back in 1922 by the tireless Monica Flin. Her lineup of traditional Sonoran dishes made her a local legend; she’s even credited with inventing the chimichanga! Today, El Charro Café is run by Monica’s great grandniece, Carlotta Flores, and it’s America’s oldest Mexican restaurant in continuous operation by the same family. El Charro Café offers a wide variety of Northern Mexican and Tucson-style Mexican dishes, from enchiladas to tamales to tacos to burros, and their insanely delicious food has been hailed by everyone from Bon Appetit to the NY Times to Nation’s Restaurant News, which named it one of America’s 50 most iconic restaurants.
This package serves 12-18 people and includes
- 36 Green Chile Cheese Mini Chimichangas
- Red Enchilada Sauce (12 oz.)
- Each chimichanga measures 2″ × 1″ and weighs approx. 1 oz.
Green Chile Cheese – Tortilla (Bleached Enriched Flour, Water, Modified Palm Oil, Mono & Diglycerides And Polysorbate 60, Salt, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate , Baking Powder, Calcium Propionate, Sugar Fumaric Acid, Corn Starch, Potassium Sorbate, Wheat Starch, Microcrystaline Cellulose, Sodium Metabisulfite, Calcium Sulfate,invert Sugar, Propylene Glycol, Cmc Gum (Contains Wheat)) Anahiem Chile, Cheddar Cheese (Cultured Pasteurized Milk, Salt, Cheese Color, Enzymes). (Contains Milk)
Red Enchilada Sauce – Red Chile Paste (Water, & Chile Pods), Water, Rice Flour, Canola Oil (Canola Oil, Citric Acid And Tbhq (To Preserve Freshness), Dimethylpolysiloxane (An Anti-foaming Agent)), Salt.
Instructions / Storage
- Chimichangas ship frozen with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, place chimichangas and sauce pouch in the freezer or defrost in the refrigerator overnight if they will be enjoyed the next day.
- Once thawed, chimichangas can be refrigerated for 7 days or can be left frozen up to 10 months.
To Fry (Recommended)
- Fill a deep pot with high smoke point oil of choice (deep enough to cover all the chimichangas, but no more than halfway up the pot.)
- Use heat probe to heat oil to 350 F. Do not heat above 400 F.
- Use long tongs, slotted deep fry spoon, or a fry basket to carefully place chimichangas in hot oil.
- Cook for approx. 2 min or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove the chimichangas using the utensil from before and place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb any excess oil. For best results, cook no more than 6 chimichangas at a time. Let oil return to 350 degrees before cooking the next batch.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spread chimichangas on baking sheet spaced about an inch apart.
- Bake thawed chimichangas for approx. 15 min or until golden brown.
- Fill medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil
- Use tongs to carefully place the unopened pouch into the boiling water.
- Let bag boil for approx. 5 min.
- Remove pouch carefully with tongs. Carefully cut one corner of pouch off and pour into a serving container.
- El Charro Cafe ships on Tuesdays of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.