Spiced Sugarcane Lacquered Quail Kit - 4 Pack
Quail are extremely popular with Southern families and the hunting season stretches from Thanksgiving to Mardi Gras. During hunting season, Commander’s shifts to becoming more of a wild game house to reflect our history & heritage of Louisiana as The Sportsmen’s Paradise. The dish itself has become synonymous with white table cloth elegance and a great example of the refinement of the taste and flavor of New Orleans Haute Creole cuisine.
Add two loaves of Commander’s Palace’s legendary garlic bread. This garlic bread has been a staple in our restaurant and is served warm at every table when you join us to dine. Back in the mid 90’s, Chef Jamie Shannon got tired of making it before each shift and decided to switch it out and serve Cognac whipped chicken liver mousse instead. Although the recipe tasted great, our guests revolted and demanded we bring back the famous bread to start each meal. The risky experiment lasted only a week and the cheese covered crispy bread was back by popular demand and here to stay.
This package serves 4 people and includes:
- 4 Raw Quail
- 24 oz. of Bacon Braised Cabbage
- Sugarcane Mollasses Glaze
- Add two loaves of Garlic Bread for an additional charge. Each loaf has 12 pieces per order and serves 2-3
Price includes additional packaging to ensure products stay cold and fresh during transit
pork, Worcestershire (contains fish), garlic, onions, red wine, dairy, cane sugar
Instructions / Storage
- Quail ships frozen with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival remove packaging and place in the fridge or freeze
- May be kept refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 3 months
If you plan on eating within 1-2 days, store quail in the refrigerator upon arrival. This dish is actually quite easy to cook, but you’ll need to make sure the bird and the boudin filling are thawed all the way through first. Having a thermometer here will be perfect and we’ll use it twice.
- You can thaw the bird in the fridge for up to 2 days. If it’s not thawed by then, simply remove the bird from the packaging and place on a microwave-safe plate and defrost. All microwaves are different, so keep a sharp eye on your prize. Each quail weighs 12oz so adjust your defrost settings accordingly. We recommend defrosting in the fridge over defrosting in the microwave. However, both methods will work.
- Once defrosted fully, the thermometer should pass through the cold boudin filling easily from end to end. If there is any tension, defrost longer.
- Once thawed, pre-heat your oven to 400*F and turn on the fan or convection if it’s available.
- Place the bird on a buttered baking tray skin side up, then bake in the center rack for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven.
- While the bird is baking, tend to the other two ingredients included.
- The nest of vegetables that your bird is shipped with can be reheated in a microwave, a lightly oiled or buttered saucepan, or in the oven on a separate baking pan while the bird cooks. Be sure to heat the vegetables all the way through.
- There is a delicious glaze in the little round portion cup that is made from rum and black pepper spiced molasses. This will need to be warmed to 98.5F and stirred so it’s not cold and too firm to paint with. You can heat in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave.
- When your bird is golden brown on the outside, use the thermometer to test the internal temperature of the boudin filling. Ensure the internal temperature is 165*F before consuming.
- Remove the bird from the oven, and using a pastry brush or BBQ brush, paint the skin of the bird with the glaze to create a sticky, shiny and brilliant finish for the dish.
- To finish the dish, place the vegetable nest in the center of an entree plate and create a round shape like a doughnut.
- Place the bird skin side up in the middle of the nest to complete the look!
- If there is any sauce left, you can pour it out onto the plate in a circular
fashion to frame your artwork before it gets to the table.
- We have deboned the quail for you (except for the leg bones) so you can cut right down the center and enjoy!
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Commander’s Palace ships Monday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.