You’re invited to join us for our latest Goldbelly Live! Cook-Along: a class with James Beard Award-winning chef superstar, Marcus Samuelsson! Most famous for sparking a Harlem culinary renaissance with the acclaimed Red Rooster, there is little that Chef Samuelsson hasn’t achieved as one of America’s most renowned and talented chefs – from competing on and winning “Top Chef Masters,” to writing multiple books, to opening restaurants across New York City. In this interactive event in celebration of his new cookbook, The Rise: Black Cooks and the Soul of American Food, Chef Samuelsson will lead you through three courses that highlight the diverse deliciousness and excellence of Black cooking today.
This limited-edition kit features three original recipes from Chef Samuelsson featuring the flavors of African-American cuisine and includes all of the ingredients you need to make a Collard Green and Fresh Cheese Salad, Papa Ed’s Shrimp and Grits, and a Benne Seed Pot de Crème with Benne Seed Praline and Roasted Pineapple. Plus, each kit includes a copy of Chef Samuelsson’s new cookbook, The Rise, to explore additional dishes celebrating Black culinary traditions.
Here’s How it Works:
– Order The Rise Meal Kit by Tuesday, November 17 at 10 PM ET.
– By placing an order, you will automatically be enrolled in the exclusive Zoom event.
– The day before your class, you’ll receive your kit at your door, along with an email with all the info you’ll need to join the Zoom event.
– At 7 PM ET on Friday, November 20, join Chef Samuelsson on Zoom!
A limited number of seats are available, and they’re expected to fill up quickly. Reserve your spot today!
For more details, head to the Goldbelly Blog!
Limited Edition: The Rise Meal Kit includes a FREE Goldbelly Live! Cooking Class with Chef Marcus Samuelsson! First Come, First Served!
This package serves 2 people and includes everything you need to make 3 dishes:
- Collard Greens and Fresh Cheese Salad
- Papa Ed’s Shrimp and Grits
- Benne Seed Pot de Crème with Benne Seed Praline and Roasted Pineapple
- One copy of Chef Samuelsson’s new cookbook, The Rise: Black Cooks and the Soul of American Food
Collard Green & Fresh Cheese Salad Ingredients:
- ½ pint pickled apples
- ½ pint fresh cheese
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 lemon
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp dijon mustard and worcestershire sauce
- 1 grapefruit
- ½ bunch collard greens
- ½ radicchio head
- ½ Napa cabbage head
Shrimp & Grits Ingredients:
- 1 quart gumbo sauce
- 1 quart grits
- 12 shrimp
- ½ cup of heavy cream
Pot de Crème Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Pot de creme (each 8 oz.)
- ½ pint roasted pineapple
- 2 oz benne seed praline
You Will Need
For the Collard Green Salad:
salt & pepper, cutting board, knife, large mixing bowl, whisk, optional blender or food processor
For the Shrimp & Grits:
Large skillet, medium saucepan
For the Pot de Crème:
- Collard Green and Fresh Cheese Salad – Collard Greens, Radicchio, Cabbage, Grapefruit, Olive Oil, Coconut, Jalapeno, Lemon, Egg, Dijon, Sesame, Worcestershire Sauce, Parsley, Whole Milk, Apples or Pears, Vinegar, Spices, Salt, Pepper
- Shrimp & Grits – Cream, Butter, Grits, Cheddar, Vegetable Oil, Celery, Onion, Bell Pepper, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Chorizo, Tomato, Okra, Paprika, Shrimp, Cayenne, Fish Stock, Vinegar
- Pot de Crème – Cream, Milk, Vanilla, Salt, Egg, Sugar, Benne Seed, Butter, Pineapple
Instructions / Storage
- This package ships with ice packs
- Ice packs may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, remove the packaging and place immediately in the fridge or freeze
- May be kept refrigerated for 2-3 days or frozen for up to 2 months
Collard Green & Fresh Cheese Salad
For the Vinaigrette
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small sauté pan set over medium heat.
- Once the oil shimmers, add the jalapeño and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes, until the garlic is fragrant and the jalapeño begins to soften.
- Add the coconut flakes and continue cooking until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine the remaining olive oil, the coconut milk, lemon juice, egg yolks, sesame oil, mustard, and Worcestershire in a blender or small food processor and process until combined and an emulsion is formed, or whisk by hand.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the sautéed jalapeño mixture and the parsley, and whisk to combine.
- Set aside until ready to use
For the Salad
- Slice the collards, radicchio and napa cabbage into ribbons and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add vinaigrette and toss until well combined
- Remove the rind of the grapefruit and cut into supreme.
- Add to the bowl with the dressed greens, along with the pickled pears and fresh cheese.
- Gently toss to combine and transfer to two plates
Shrimp & Grits
Cook the Shrimp
- In a large skillet, bring the gumbo sauce to a simmer.
- Once hot, add the shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes – or until just warmed through.
For the Grits
- In a saucepan, combine the grits with the heavy cream.
- Turn the heat to low and stir, breaking up the grits.
- Continue cooking, whisking consistently to get rid of any clumps, until the grits are beginning to bubble.
- Evenly divide the grits across two large plates or bowls.
- Top with the shrimp and its sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Benne Seed Pot de Creme with Roasted Pineapple and Benne Seed Praline
- Gently warm the roasted pineapple in a saucepan on the stove.
- Place pot de creme on a plate and garnish evenly with the pineapple and benne seed praline.
- Marcus Samuelsson’s Streetbird ships Monday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.