This kit from Duff’s Cakemix™ includes everything you need to design and decorate your very own Unicorn Cake!
Duff’s Cakemix™ is a do-it-yourself cake and cupcake decorating studio founded by Food Network star, Duff Goldman. We provide everything you need to bring your creative vision to life. Whether you follow one of our step-by-step guides or do your own thing, you get to focus on the most fun and creative part of cake-making — the decorating! We’re here to inspire the super hero cake decorator in all of us, and step-by-step guides make the process easy for even the most hesitant creators. You’ll end up with a delicious, one-of-a-kind creation to enjoy at home with family or friends, or to share as a personalized gift. Our mission is “creativity, community and joy through cake decorating.” At Duff’s Cakemix, we believe there are artists in all of us, and that cake decorating is an act of love, especially when done with or for others. The world wants to create, the world needs to create, and more than anything, the world needs cake — we’re here to help.
Duff Goldman Cakes may ship from several different locations across the country
This package serves 8-10 people and includes everything you need to design your own Unicorn cake!
- 1 Three-layer Confetti Cake, Covered in White Buttercream
- 2 packs Pink Fondant (4 oz.)
- 1 pack White Fondant (2 oz.)
- 1 pack Pink Buttercream (2 oz.)
- 1 pack Blue Buttercream (2 oz.)
- Candy Accents (May Vary)
- 1 Piping Bag
- 2 Q-tips
- 2 Toothpicks
- 1 Coffee Stirrer
- 1 Cake Board (9”)
- Duff’s decorating basics, and a handy guide for at-home tool alternatives
- Tools sold separately
- Decorations in kit may vary
- Each cake measures 6" and weighs 4.7 lbs.
Add On Tools
- Rolling Pin
- Fondant Cutter
Confetti Cake – Sugar, Bleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Enriched With Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Soybean Oil, Food Starch-modified, Whey Protein Solids (Milk). Contains 2% or Less of Each of the Following: Leavening (Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate), Salt, Emulsifier (Propylene Glycol Mono and Diesters of Fats and Fatty Acids, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Ascorbic Acid), Artificial Flavor, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Alginate, Guar Gum, Egg Whites, Soy Flour, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Soya Lecithin, Fd&c Colors (Yellow #5 Lake, Blue 1, Red #40, Red #3 Dye), Rice Starch, Carnauba Wax and Vanillin, Unsalted Butter, Powdered Sugar, Vanilla Extract, Sea Salt, Shortening.
*allergens: Product Contains Wheat, Soy, Milk, and Eggs. Product Has Been Made and Packed in a Facility That Also Contains Peanuts and Tree Nuts.
Fondant – Sugar, Corn Syrup, Water, Palm Oil, Gum Tragacanth (E413)(Stabilizer), Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gum (E466) (Thickener), Modified Corn Starch, Potassium Sorbate (E202) (Preservative), Glycerin (E422) (Humectant), Acetic Acid (E260) (Preservative). May Contain One or More of the Following: Titanium Dioxide (Coloring), Blue 1 (E133), Red 40 (E129), Yellow 6 (E110), Red 3 (E127), Yellow 5 (E102).
White Fondant: Sugar, Water, Corn Syrup, Palm Oil, Tragacanth Gum, Glycerine , Arabic Gum, Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (Cmc), Modified Corn Starch, Potassium Sorbate, Acetic Acid, Sodium Acetate, Artificial Vanilla Flavor, Artificial Colors: Titanium Dioxide (E171 Titanium Dioxide)
Pink Buttercream – Unsalted Butter, Powdered Sugar, Sea Salt, Vanilla Extract, Shortening, Water, Glycerine, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Sorbitol, Sugar, Fd&c Red #3, Modified Corn Starch, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Xanthan Gum, Agar, Citric Acid
Blue Buttercream – Unsalted Butter, Powdered Sugar, Sea Salt, Vanilla Extract, Shortening, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Glycerin, Water, Fd&c Blue #1, Food Starch-modified (Corn), Agar Gum, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Citrate
Unicorn Goodie Mix – Sugar, Dextrose, Hpmc, Maltodextrin, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup, Reduced Protein Whey (Milk), Palm Kernel Fat, Tapioca Starch, Rice Flower, Malt Extract, Oat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Chocolate (Chocolate Liquor, Whole Milk Powder, Cocoa, Butter, Chocolate Flavor Processed With Alkali, Cocoa Butter Fat, Lactose), Glycerin, Gum Arabic, Carboxymethyl Cellulose Gum, Calcium Stearate, Malic Acid, Confectioner’s Glaze, Tapioca Dextrin, Vegetable Oil (Coconut Oil, Canola Oil), Carnauba Wax, Bee’s Wax, Titanium Dioxide, Propylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Shellac, Polysorbate 60, Polysorbate 80, Xanthan Gum, Vanillin, Monoglycerides, Ester Of Acetic Acid, Magnesium Silicate, Soy Lecithin, Sunflower Lecithin, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Sorbitan Tristearate, Salt, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Fd&c Yellow 5, Fd&c Yellow 6, Fd&c Blue 1, Fd&c Blue 2, Fd&c Red 3, Fd&c Red #40, Fd&c Lake Blue #1, Fd&c Lake Blue #2, Fd&c Lake Red #3, Fd&c Lake Red #40, Iron Oxide, Fd&c Lake Yellow #5, Fd&c Lake Yellow #6, Mica Based Pearlescent Pigments.
Contains wheat, dairy, soy, and may contain traces of nuts
Produced in a facility that processes nuts
Instructions / Storage
- Cake Kit ships frozen with dry ice
- Dry ice may dissipate in transit
- If the dry ice has dissipated, but your cake arrived within 1 day of the expected delivery date, it is safe to enjoy!
- Do not remove dry ice with bare hands
- To Store Frozen Place cake immediately in the freezer, Keep in packaging. May be kept frozen for up to 2 weeks
- To Store Refrigerated Refrigerate in the packaging until ready to apply decorations. Cake may be kept refrigerated for up to 5 days. For peak freshness, decorate and enjoy within 3 days.
- Store fondant, candy at room temp
- Buttercream may be kept refrigerated for 2 weeks
- If frozen, move cake to the fridge 5 hours prior to decorating. Keep in packaging.
- If fondant is difficult to knead, remove from packaging and microwave for 3 sec. Check and repeat if necessary
- Thaw buttercream, at room temp for 1 hour prior to decorating. Use hand to knead and warm pre-filled piping bags prior to use
- Before decorating, ensure the cake is thawed. Do not decorate frozen. Gently pat dry any moisture with a paper towel.
Attach cake to 9” board for easier handling and to add decorating surface:
- If buttercream provided in container: Use popsicle stick to stir and softed
- Fill piping bag: Fold over top of bag
- Scoop buttercream into very bottom (toward tip). Unfold.
- Twist excess plastic while pushing buttercream down as low as possible. Tie if desired.
- Cut small slit at tip of pre-filled piping bag.
- Squeeze out dab of buttercream in center of 9” board
- Cake is on 6” board – do not remove. Remove plastic wrap, leave collar on.
- Sit cake (with 6” board on bottom) on top of dab on 9” board.
- Place in fridge to “glue” together and prevent sliding.
- For best results, complete all fondant decorations before removing cake from fridge to ensure cake remains firm
Decorating Your Cake
- When ready to place decorations, remove the cake from the fridge
- Gently remove the collar
- If buttercream sticks, use a knife or spatula to spread back on the cake (decorations may also cover blemishes).
- For best results decorate within 60 minutes after removing cake from fridge. The colder the room, the better! If cake softens, return to fridge for 15 mins.
Store After Decorating
- To preserve freshness, use plastic wrap to gently surround and drape decorated cake and tuck underneath the board. Store in the fridge.
- Remove from fridge and leave at room temp 1 hour before serving.
- If storing after a slice is removed, apply a plastic wrap or parchment paper to remaining exposed cake
Create the Unicorn
- Roll out 3/4 of white fondant. Keep slightly thick. Cut 2 outer ear shapes 3.5" long.
- Roll out pink fondant. Cut 2 inner ear shapes, 2" long. Attach inner ear pieces to center of outer ear pieces. Align straight edges at base of ears. To attach, use Q-tip to apply drop of water.
- Insert toothpicks (or sandwich picks) halfway into straight edge of each ear for support. Set aside.
- Set aside a pinch of pink fondant (for eyes later on). Roll out remaining pink fondant into one long rope. Roll out remaining white fondant into another long rope. Align the ropes side-by-side. Gently roll the two around each other to form one rope. Create a small round base with the rope and coil the fondant upwards. Continue to form a cone (see Duff’s Decorating Basics for pics). Insert coffee stirrer into horn for support. Set aside.
- Remove cake from fridge (be sure to follow steps in Getting Started). Secure ears to top of cake by inserting toothpicks into cake. Secure horn to top of cake by inserting coffee stirrer well into cake.
- Cut a star in empty piping bag by cutting straight line, then tiny triangles into that line (see pic). Cut round tip off end of pink and blue pre-filled buttercream bags. Place them side-by-side inside the empty bag. Squeeze out buttercream on top of cake to form bangs and mane.
- Use pinch of pink fondant set aside in Step 4 to create 2 small ropes for eyes. Taper one end of each. Attach to front of cake. Gently press into cake to secure.
- Duff Goldman Cake Kits ship Tuesday & Wednesday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.