Celebrate Shabbat in style with the ultimate in Jewish comfort foods! The meal begins with warm, pull-apart challah Parker House rolls (baked in your own oven) served with a selection of dips and salads, like house-made Boursin cheese, Romanian eggplant, and cucumber salad. Next up is traditional matzo ball soup with soul-warming chicken broth. The centerpiece of the meal is a whole bone-in shortrib, crusted in pastrami spice, and smoked and slow-roasted until it’s fall-off-the-bone tender. Served with a schmaltzy potato kugel, Russian dressing, and spicy mustard, this version takes the Montreal deli classic to another level. The meal is completed with chocolate-dipped coconut macaroons.
Chef Michael Solomonov’s Abe Fisher, Zahav’s sister restaurant, celebrates the food of the Jewish Diaspora, from Eastern Europe to New York City and beyond. In 2015, the restaurant earned a James Beard Foundation semifinalist nomination for “Best New Restaurant."
This package serves 6 people and includes everything you need to make a 3-course Shabbat meal featuring Abe Fisher’s Montreal Short Rib:
- Boursin (8 oz)
- Borscht Tartare (8 oz)
- Romanian Eggplant (8 oz)
- Cucumber Salad (8 oz)
- Health Salad (8 oz)
- Braised Red Cabbage (8 oz)
- 6 Challah Parker House Rolls (22 oz total)
- Chicken Soup (48 oz)
- 6 Matzo Balls (20 oz total)
- Montreal Smoked Short Rib (55 oz)
- Russian Dressing (4 oz)
- Spicy Mustard (4 oz)
- Potato Kugel (17 oz)
- 6 Chocolate Macaroons (22 oz total)
NOTE: Smoked Short Rib has already been removed from the bones for you, but will be repositioned and packed on the bone, so it can be easily reheated on top of the bones.
Boursin: Cream Cheese, Sour Cream, Butter, Roasted Garlic, Parsley, Dill, Chives, Salt, White Pepper
Borscht Tartare: Beets, Horseradish, Sugar, Apple Cider Vinegar, Shallots, Dijon, Olive Oil, Parsley, Chives, Dill
Romanian Eggplant: Eggplant, Olive Oil, Garlic, Roasted Red Peppers, Urfa Pepper, Smoked Paprika, Salt, Lemon Juice
Cucumber Salad: Cucumbers, Shallots, Vinegar, Sugar, Salt
Health Salad: Green Cabbage, Vinegar, Salt, Sugar, Long Hot Peppers, Green Bell Peppers, White Onions, Cilantro, Dill, Scallions
Braised Red Cabbage: Red Cabbage, Onion, Red Bell Peppers, Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Caraway
Challah Parker House Rolls: Flour, Yeast, Canola Oil, Honey, Egg Yolks, Water, Salt, Butter
Chicken Soup: Chicken, Celery, Onion, Carrots, Garlic, Parsley, Thyme, Black Pepper, All Spice, Turmeric, Ginger, Canola Oil, Baking Powder, Paprika
Matzo Balls: Schmaltz, Matzoh Meal (Contains Gluten), Eggs, Baking Powder, Black Pepper, Parsley, Dill, Chives
Montreal Smoked Short Rib: Beef Short Ribs, Smoked Paprika, Caraway, Coriander, White Pepper, Black Pepper, Mustard Seed, Dextrose, Kosher Salt, Pink Salt, Allspice, Canola Oil
Russian Dressing: Mayonnaise (Pasteurized Egg Yolks, Canola, Dijon, Salt, Lemon Juice), Ketchup (Tomato Concentrate From Red Ripe Tomatoes, Distilled Vinegar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup, Salt, Spice, Onion, Natural Flavoring), Dill Pickles, Parsley, Dill, Espelette Pepper, Red Onions
Spicy Mustard: Dijon Mustard, Brown Mustard, Turmeric, Spices
Potato Kugel: Russet And Yukon Gold Potatoes, Spanish Onions, Salt, Potato Flour, Baking Powder, Schmaltz, Eggs
Chocolate Macaroons: Coconut, Sweetened Condensed Milk, Sugar, Salt, Bittersweet Chocolate (Contains Soy Lecithin), Canola Oil
Instructions / Storage
- Meal Kit ships fresh with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, place all items in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Store the Macaroons at room temperature.
- Enjoy the Meal Kit within 3 days of arrival.
Montreal Short Rib
- A few hours before you are ready to eat, place the challah rolls in a warm spot in your kitchen to proof (75 degrees is ideal; you can also place them in your oven at the lowest setting with the door propped open). The bread is proofed when it has doubled in size and springs back slowly when poked.
- Bake the rolls in a 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. You can use an instant-read thermometer to check the internal temperature of the bread, which should be between 190-200 degrees. Serve warm.
- 60 minutes before you are ready to eat, make sure your oven is preheated to 350 degrees.
- Cut open the two bags of chicken soup, empty into a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Bring a separate pot of water to a simmer and add the matzo balls still in their bag.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until the matzo balls are heated through.
- Remove the containers of salads and condiments from the refrigerator and arrange in serving dishes if desired. Allow all containers to come to room temperature.
- Remove the lid from the kugel and re-cover with aluminum foil. Place in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut open the bag containing the short ribs and place them in a large roasting pan.
- Arrange the meat on top of the bones.
- Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and place in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until heated through. You can test this by inserting the tip of a paring knife into the short ribs for a few seconds and then placing it beneath your lower lip.
- Cut open the bag of matzo balls and place one in each bowl.
- Ladle the chicken soup on top and serve.
- Place the short ribs on a cutting board and cut ¼ inch thick slices across the grain.
- Serve with the mustard and Russian dressing, along with the salads and challah rolls.
- Enjoy (and don’t forget about the macaroons for dessert)!
- Meal Kits from Zahav ship Wednesdays and Thursdays of each week.
- Meal Kits from Abe Fisher ship Wednesdays and Thursdays of each week.
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes.
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.