Who wouldn’t want a little extra luck this coming new year? The Southern legend goes, that eating Hoppin’ John on the New Year will bring you months of good fortune and wellbeing. Nobody is really sure where this tradition began, but the first documented recipe is found in a book from the 1840s and it wouldn’t exist without the African slaves introducing crops like field peas to the Southern United States. Each ingredient in Hoppin’ John has their own symbolic importance which plays into the legend; the peas are coins, collard greens are dollars and the cornbread is gold! (We couldn’t agree more on that last one). Now, we’re not guaranteeing you’ll hit the lottery after choosing this DYI package, but you sure will spend New Years Day happy and well-fed!
The Grey was named one of “World’s Best Restaurants” by Food & Wine and Eater dubbed The Grey Market one of “The 12 Most Anticipated Restaurant Openings of Fall 2018”. Chef Mashama Bailey was awarded “Best Chef – Southeast” by the James Beard Foundation. She was also featured on the Netflix series “Chef’s Table” and was named as one of the “16 Black Chefs Changing Food in America” by the New York Times.
This package serves 4 people and includes:
- Geechie Boy Baked Sea Island Red Peas (24 oz.)
- Anson Mills Carolina Gold Rice (14 oz.)
- The Grey’s Corn Bread Mix (12 oz.)
- Lowcountry Collard Greens (28 oz.)
- Cultured Butter (1 Stick)
- Readee’s Bees Honey (2 oz.)
- Southern Swiss Buttermilk (4 oz.)
Contains: gluten, eggs, dairy
Instructions / Storage
- New Years Day Hoppin’ John Kit ships with ice packs may thaw in transit
- Dried goods may be kept at room temperature
- Collards, buttermilk, and butter should be kept refrigerated
- Please follow the instructions provided on the back of each package.
- The Grey ships Monday and Wednesday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii will incur an additional $35 charge for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.