Who wouldn’t want a little extra luck this coming new year? The Southern legend goes, that eating Hoppin’ John on the New Year will bring you months of good fortune and wellbeing. Nobody is really sure where this tradition began, but the first documented recipe is found in a book from the 1840s and it wouldn’t exist without the African slaves introducing crops like field peas to the Southern United States. Each ingredient in Hoppin’ John has their own symbolic importance which plays into the legend; the peas are coins, collard greens are dollars and the cornbread is gold! (We couldn’t agree more on that last one). Now, we’re not guaranteeing you’ll hit the lottery after choosing this DYI package, but you sure will spend New Years Day happy and well-fed!
Bonded by a common viewpoint on what makes for delicious food, Chef Mashama Bailey, who received the James Beard in 2019, and restaurateur Johno Morisano partnered to build The Grey in Historic Downtown Savannah. Located in an old Greyhound bus terminal, The Grey reclaims the building’s history and places it at the very heart of Southern cooking by transporting guests to the past, present, and future of Port City Southern Cuisine. Tapping into much of what they learned in creating that space, Mashama and Johno opened The Grey Market, a New York bodega meets Southern lunch counter, in 2018. Their talented team, including senior manager Colleen Ferris and executive pastry chef, Tanya Matta, are ensuring that everything is delicious and making its way to you exactly as it should.
This package serves 4 people and includes:
- Geechie Boy Baked Sea Island Red Peas (24 oz.)
- Anson Mills Carolina Gold Rice (14 oz.)
- The Grey’s Corn Bread Mix (12 oz.)
- Lowcountry Collard Greens (28 oz.)
- Cultured Butter (1 Stick)
- Readee’s Bees Honey (2 oz.)
- Southern Swiss Buttermilk (4 oz.)
Contains: gluten, eggs, dairy
Instructions / Storage
- New Years Day Hoppin’ John Kit ships with ice packs may thaw in transit
- Dried goods may be kept at room temperature
- Collards, buttermilk, and butter should be kept refrigerated
- Please follow the instructions provided on the back of each package.
- The Grey ships Monday and Wednesday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii will incur an additional $35 charge for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.