The Girl & the Goat ships its signature dishes nationwide on Goldbelly! Girl & the Goat meal kits are a way for people to enjoy classic dishes from Girl & the Goat in the comfort of their own homes, and enjoy the fun of cooking, made easy! The meal kits and recipes are curated by James Beard Award-winning Chef Stephanie Izard and are designed for people to create delicious meals in home kitchens nationwide! Each kit includes fresh ingredients that are perfectly proportioned for a Goat restaurant dinner experience for four. They also include a featured sauce or spice from This Little Goat that can be kept in your pantry for other cooking adventures later on!
This Pork Shank Dinner Kit for 4 includes 2 Roasted Pork Shanks with Thai-style sweet and sour sauce and kabocha squash purée. Also includes Girl & the Goat’s iconic green beans with a bottle of This Little Goat Southeast Asia sauce, and, as a bonus, chocolate chip cookie dough to make your own cookies!
Since it first opened its doors in the Windy City’s Fulton Market District in 2010, few Chicago restaurants have been so consistently praised—and packed—as Stephanie Izard’s Girl & The Goat. James Beard Award-winning chef Izard’s bold, globetrotting flavors defy easy categorization, but every item on her family-style menu is wildly creative and insanely delicious. Izard is renowned as one of America’s best chefs: she won Season 1 of “Iron Chef Gauntlet” and Season 4 of "Top Chef.” and took home the James Beard Award for Best Chef Great Lakes in 2013. One of the best restaurants in Chicago, Girl & The Goat was a 2011 James Beard Award "Best New Restaurant” finalist.
This package serves 4 people and includes:
- 2 Roasted Pork Shanks (about 1.5 lbs each)
- Thai Style Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Kabocha Squash Puree
- Pickled Peppers
- Chimichurri Base
- Green Beans
- Kewpie Mayo
- 1 bottle of This Little Goat Southeast Asia Sauce
- Cookie Dough (enough to make 2 cookies)
2 ROASTED PORK SHANK – pork, salt,garlic onion, carrots tomoato; pickled red onion – red wine vin, salt, corriander, blk pepper, chile de arbol, sugar
THAI STYLE SWEET & SOUR SAUCE – rice bran oil, garlic, ginger, scallion, Shaoxing, Tamari, fish sauce, champagne vinegar, pickled fresno
KABOCHA SQUASH PUREE – Kombucha squash, brown butter, tamari
GREEN BEANS – green beans, shallots, cashews (Can be omitted), kew pie mayo, TLG Southeast asia (Canola Oil, Water, Fish Sauce (anchovies, sea salt), Dijon Mustard (water, vinegar, mustard seed, salt, white wine, fruit pectin, citric acid, tartaric acid, sugar, spice), Cane Sugar, Garlic, Granulated Tamari Soy Sauce (soy sauce (soybeans, salt, sugar) maltodextrin, salt), Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce (chili pepper, vinegar, garlic, sugar, salt, water, natural flavors, xanthan gum), Cultured Dextrose, Citric Acid, Salt, Xanthan Gum CONTAINS: SOY, ANCHOVIES (FISH)
Instructions / Storage
- Kit ships with ice packs, will not arrive frozen
- Upon arrival place immediately in the fridge
- All ingredients have to be refrigerated until cooking
- May be kept refrigerated for up to 5 days
- Only the Pork Shank may be frozen up to 2 months, but produce cannot be frozen at all
Roasted Pork Shank
Cook the Pork Shank:
- 1. Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- 2. Remove the pork from the bag, feel free to remove a little bit of the excess gelatin that is on the shank if you want!
- 3. Place it on an oven-safe pan, with the bone pointed vertically up and cook for about 40-45 minutes until well caramelized. While this is cooking, check out the green bean recipe below to begin cleaning, blanching timing out the cook of your green bean dish!
Make the Kabocha Squash Puree:
- 1. Heat a pot of water over medium-low heat.
- 2. Grab your bag of Kabocha squash puree and carefully place in the simmering water.
- 3. Let simmer until squash puree is softened and warmed through, about 10 minutes.
Plate and serve:
- 1. Pick the mint leaves off of the stems and give them a rough tear.
- 2. Thinly slice the scallions and set aside for serving
- 3. Grab your warm squash puree, cut open the bag and spread a few large spoonfuls on the bottom of your serving plate.
- 4. Place warm pork shank on top of puree.
- 5. Drizzle with some Thai-style sweet & sour sauce and top with torn mint leaves and sliced scallions. Dig in!
Girl & the Goat Green Beans
Prep the green beans:
- 1. Start by cleaning your green beans
- 2. blanch them by bringing a pot of salted water to rolling boil. Add in the green beans for about 4 minutes.
- 3. Strain and add to a pre-pared ice bath for 1 minute. Don’t let them sit too long – they will get waterlogged. Place them on a paper towel to dry!
Make the drizzle sauce:
- 1. Add the ramequin of Kewpie mayo in a mixing bowl.
- 2. Mix in about 2 tbsp of This Little Goat Went to South- east Asia (you have a bottle in your box!).
- 3. Mix it all together and spoon the mixture into a Ziplock bag. You will cut the tip of the baggie and drizzle it on top when you are ready to serve!
Cook the green beans:
- 1. Heat up a large sauté pan (or a wok if you have one) over medium-high heat and drizzle about 1 tbsp of oil (I prefer rice bran, grapeseed, canola or anything really except olive oil!).
- 2. Put the green beans on the pan and you should hear it sizzle! I usually grab one green bean and take a bite! I taste it to see if I want to add a bit more salt to them, I usually do ;) I sprinkle a little more salt on them while they cook on the pan. Let them sauté for a couple of minutes and keep moving them around on the pan as they begin to show a light brown blister! You don’t want them to burn— just get a light golden brown bubbly golden color and are heated all the way through!
- 3. Once they seem like they are getting nice and hot, sprinkle in the shaved shallots and stir them in! Sauté for a few seconds.
- 4. Grab your bottle of This Little Goat Went to Southeast Asia and squeeze in about 2-3 tbsp of this right on the green beans and continue to stir around and sauté! It might get a little smoky, so you might want to turn on your fan!
- 5. Add in your cashews (there’s enough for you to snack on some too if you want!), I like to break them up a little bit and toss them around on the pan!
Assemble and serve:
- Grab your serving bowl and put the cooked green beans in there! Grab that baggie of the drizzle, cut the corner of it, and drizzle the sauce over the top! Enjoy!
- 1. Preheat oven to 350
- 2. Form dough into 2 large balls, slightly larger than a golf ball
- 3. Bake for 12-18 minutes, rotating the tray halfway through, until the edges turn slightly golden
- 4. Let cool slightly before serving
- Girl & The Goat ships Tuesday-Thursday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.