Ugly Drum ships its famous Swiss Stack “Reuben” Sandwich Kit nationwide on Goldbelly! You have never had a Reuben sandwich like this! Open only on Sundays at Smorgasburg L.A., Ugly Drum garnered an immediate cult following. There’s a reason why Ugly Drum still has some of the longest lines years after opening. Their Pit-Smoked pastrami is smokey, melt-in-your-mouth tender, sweet, peppery, and sinfully decadent. So what is it that sets Ugly Drum apart? They have developed a method that is a glorious hybrid of Texas barbeque and classic New York deli techniques. Ugly Drum uses fattier whole briskets that are wet brined in their proprietary seasoning blend for several days. Then, they are pit-smoked over low, indirect heat with mesquite charcoal and whole logs of oak and pecan wood for at least 10 hours. Just a bite of this pastrami will have pastrami and barbeque fanatics wondering how anything could taste so good!
Hailed nationwide as some of the best pastrami that has ever been made, Ugly Drum is a personal passion project by Chef Erik Black, who uses a hybridized technique. Black combines a homemade classic Jewish pastrami brine with Texas-style pit-smoking. Previously available only out of Erik’s oil drum smoker (the “Ugly Drum”) at Smorgasburg Los Angeles, this Texas pastrami with a cult following is now just a click away. Ugly Drum has been praised by LA Magazine as “Smoked. Meat. Nirvana.” and Vice Munchies described the pastrami as a “Beautiful Meat Mutant.”
This package serves 4 people and includes:
- 1.5 lbs. Pit-Smoked Pastrami, unsliced
- 1 “House” unsliced loaf from Bub & Grandma’s Bakery (8% rye, non-seeded)
- 8 slices domestic Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 pt. Spicy Russian Dressing
- 1/2 pt. Coleslaw
- Coleslaw Dressing
pastrami (not kosher), rye bread, swiss cheese, Russian dressing, creamy coleslaw (made with dairy)
Instructions / Storage
- This Reuben Kit ships frozen with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, remove the packaging and refrigerate or freeze all items
- Items may be kept refrigerated for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 months
Double Bake Bread
- Preheat oven to 350 and position rack in center
- Remove bread from wrapping
- Dampen the bread crust: wet a paper towel and laying it over the top of the loaf, pat the towel to lightly moisten the top surface of the loaf. Do same to bottom.
- Place loaf in the oven directly on the middle rack
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Remove loaf from the oven and wait 30 minutes to slice.
- Slice the chunk of pastrami into desired thickness. we slice about 1/4 inch slices.
- Either use a pan with lid and a little water OR use a microwave to gently steam the pastrami
- The meat is fairly tender and tends to fall apart once hot. Thinner slices will obviously fall apart faster. Don’t worry if it falls apart, it will still be delicious once in the sandwich!
- Note on fat – We use USDA Prime briskets which have a decent amount of marbling. If you don’t want the fat, you can trim it however you like it but we leave it all on and try to alternate fattier and leaner slices on a sandwich to achieve medium level. But even if it is more visible, there is no more fat in the pastrami than in a 20% burger mix.
- Cut bread
- Dress bread with Spicy Russian dressing or your favorite mustard. Leave dressing on side if unsure how spicy you want your sandwich.
- Add meat, cheese and slaw.
- Ugly Drum ships Monday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.