Organic Hodo tofu that has been pressed and lightly fried is stir-fried with fresh lemongrass, onions and housemade sate chile paste. A sweet soy-based sauce rounds out the spiciness of the dish.
Since its founding by chef Charles Phan and his family in San Francisco in 1995, The Slanted Door has achieved renown as one of the best restaurants in the city, and one of the best and most influential Vietnamese restaurants in the country. Phan and his team serve only organic produce and ecologically and humanely raised meats, game, and poultry from around the San Francisco Bay Area, and their modern Vietnamese cuisine earned the James Beard Award for Best Chef: California in 2004 and Outstanding Restaurant in 2014.
This package serves 2 people as part of a family-style dinner and includes:
- Fried and Pressed Tofu (20 oz.)
- Tofu Sauce (10 oz.)
- Yellow Onion Slices (4 oz.)
- Beech Mushroom (3 oz.)
- Lemongrass, Minced (2 Tbsp.)
- Jalapeno Slices (1 oz.)
- Garlic, Minced (1 Tbsp.)
- Dried Chili Arbol (2 pcs.)
- Sate (1 Tbsp.)
- Veggie Oyster Sauce (2 Tbsp.)
- Jasmine Rice, Uncooked (2 Cups)
Hodo Organic Pressed Tofu, Lemongrass, Onion, Garlic, Soy Sauce, Sugar, Green Onions, Beech Mushrooms, Jalapenos, Chile D’arbol, Vegetarian Stir Fry Sauce, Sate Paste (Annatto Seed, Sichuan Peppercorn, Shallots, Canola Oil, Garlic, Chile Flakes, Ground Bean Paste, Rice Wine, Sugar, Light Soy Sauce)
Instructions / Storage
- Kit ships frozen with ice packs may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, remove from the packaging and place immediately in the fridge
- Maybe kept refrigerated for up to 5 days
Tofu Stir Fry
- In a large sauté pan, heat pan until very hot, add the oil.
- Add the onions, green onions, garlic, lemongrass and jalapenos
- Cook for 1 minute until lightly wilted.
- At the fried tofu and braised tofu
- Add the rice wine and let cook for 30 seconds.
- At the sate paste / vegetarian stir fry sauce mix and tofu sauce and 1/2 cup water
- Let simmer and reduce until it glazes the tofu
(Add 3 1/2 Cups of Water per Every 2 Cups of Uncooked Rice)
- In a medium-sized pot, bring water and rice up to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir the rice a few times and then cover with a tight lid and reduce heat to low
- Simmer for 12 minutes
- Turn off heat but leave on top of stove top and let steam for 15 minutes longer.
- Remove lid, fluff with a fork
- The Slanted Door ships Tuesday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.