In this dish, wild Gulf shrimp are cooked in a spicy caramel sauce with housemade sate paste.
Since its founding by chef Charles Phan and his family in San Francisco in 1995, The Slanted Door has achieved renown as one of the best restaurants in the city, and one of the best and most influential Vietnamese restaurants in the country. Phan and his team serve only organic produce and ecologically and humanely raised meats, game, and poultry from around the San Francisco Bay Area, and their modern Vietnamese cuisine earned the James Beard Award for Best Chef: California in 2004 and Outstanding Restaurant in 2014.
This package serves 4 people as part of a family-style dinner and includes:
- Shrimp (2 lbs.)
- Yellow Onion (14 oz.)
- Minced Garlic (0.6 oz.)
- Green Onion (3 oz.)
- Caramel Sauce (10 oz.) (includes 0.3 oz. Sate)
- Rice Wine (0.2 oz.)
- Jasmine Rice, Uncooked (4 Cups)
Wild Gulf Shrimp, Rice Wine, Canola Oil, Caramel Sauce ( Fish Sauce, Brown Candy), Sate Paste (Annatto Seed, Sichuan Peppercorn, Shallots, Canola Oil, Garlic, Chile Flakes, Ground Bean Paste, Rice Wine, Sugar, Light Soy Sauce), Dried Chile D’arbol, Yellow Onions, Green Onions
Instructions / Storage
- Kit ships frozen with ice packs may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, remove from the packaging and place immediately in the fridge
- May be kept at room temperature for up to 2 hours, or refrigerated for up to 5 days
- Remove from the box and thaw protein in the fridge
- Heat a medium-sized saute pan until hot, add the oil and add the shrimp.
- Sear on each side for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan to a plate.
- Pour off enough oil in the pan to equal about 1 tablespoon.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Add the yellow onions, green onions, and minced garlic.
- Cook for about 10 seconds, stirring, and then add the rice wine to deglaze the pan.
- When the rice wine has almost cooked away, add the shrimp back into the pan and add the sate caramel sauce.
- Cook shrimp to desired doneness, about 5-8 minutes and the sauce has glazed the shrimp.
(Add 3 1/2 Cups of Water per Every 2 Cups of Uncooked Rice)
- In a medium-sized pot, bring water and rice up to a boil over medium heat.
- Stir the rice a few times and then cover with a tight lid and reduce heat to low
- Simmer for 12 minutes
- Turn off heat but leave on top of stove top and let steam for 15 minutes longer.
- Remove lid, fluff with a fork
- The Slanted Door ships Tuesday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.