These Sandwiches are EXCLUSIVE to Goldbelly – you cant even get ’em at the store
Fresh Louisana Gulf Shrimp sauteed in a special New Orleans BBQ sauce filled with cajun spices. Then loaded up on toasted flaky New Orleans French Bread with extra sauce for dipping. Whether you know them as po’ boys, po-boys, or poor boys, the Poor Boy sandwich is as essential to New Orleans as Mardi Gras. Invented during the 1929 Streetcar Strike, the people of New Orleans gathered together to feed 1,800 hungry men by creating hearty sandwiches. Often, proprietors would yell “Here comes another poor boy!” when a worker would approach looking for a meal. In solidarity, Parkway added the “Poor Boy” to their menu that year and fed union members and conductors poor boys for free. These Poor Boys are a piece of historical and culinary wonder you can’t miss.
Founded by Jay Nix in 1911, Parkway Bakery and Tavern is best known for their legendary poor boy sandwich, invented during the 1929 Streetcar Strike. The iconic New Orleans restaurant’s po’ boys, featuring roast beef with gravy and Swiss cheese on an impossibly soft French bread, “dressed” with lettuce, tomato, pickles, and mayo, are a piece of historical and culinary wonder you can’t miss.
This package serves up to 4 people and includes everything you need to make 2 Shrimp Po’Boys:
- 24 oz. Louisana Gulf Shrimp
- 16 oz. BBQ Shrimp Sauce
- 2 loaves Fresh Baked French Bread
- 1 Lemon
Shrimp, Butter, Cajun Spices, Wheat, Gluten, Eggs
Instructions / Storage
- Poor Boys ship with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival store in poor boys in the fridge for 2-3 days
- Poor Boys may also be stored frozen for up to 3 months
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Slice French Bread lengthwise and place to the side
- Drain shrimp in a small colander for 5 minutes – Do Not run water on them
- In a medium-sized saucepan pour the BBQ Shrimp Sauce and heat on medium, stirring often, until hot (should not simmer)
- When the sauce is hot, take it off the heat
- In a large sauce pan with plenty of surface area set to medium heat
- Melt 1 Tbsp of butter in the pan then drip the shrimp in, keeping them moving by mixing gently
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze all the juice into the pan as well as the lemon
- Turn the heat up to high
- You will notice plenty of liquid coming out of the shrimp. That is good flavor so leave in pan gently stirring on 3 minutes or until shrimp become firm
- Set heat back to medium then pour the BBQ shrimp sauce into the large saucepan with the shrimp
- Mix gently for 1 minute then turn off the heat (NOTE: If the sauce looks as though it has not thickened enough, remove the shrimp and continue reducing the sauce)
- Building the Poorboy: Place sliced bread on a small sheet pan. With a slotted spoon load up each bottom slice with the same amount of shrimp
- Spoon a little extra sauce over the top of the shrimp and place on the top part of the place
- Place in the oven for 3 minutes or until the bread is crispy
- Cut each Poorboy in half and use the extra sauce for dipping!
- Parkway Barkery & Tavern ships Monday – Wednesday of each week.
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes.
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via express will incur an additional $20 for 2-day and $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.