Famous Bread Pudding + Brandy Sauce
French bread is a staple of New Orleans cuisine. The city has long been known for its po’ boy sandwiches served on local bread modeled on baguettes. After the sandwiches were stuffed with ham, roast beef, debris, sausage, shrimp — or even fried potatoes — some bread would invariably be left over. It went stale and turned hard within a day or so. Inventive cooks soaked it in sugary custard and baked pans of it for dessert rather than let it go to waste. To moisten it, a butter sauce infused with liquor became the local tradition. The alcohol content is flambéed or cooked out, leaving only the essence of its flavor behind to enjoy.
Mother’s Bread Pudding and Brandy Sauce are made from locally sourced Leidenheimer New Orleans French bread soaked in a custard of milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and spices. It is imbued with fruit cocktail (no raisins) and accompanied by a rich, luscious brandy butter sauce.
If you know New Orleans, you know Mother’s! Mother’s is a must-visit for anyone who wants a true taste of the Big Easy. Simon and Mary (Mother) Landry opened it as a humble po’boy shop in 1938, and in 1986 their sons Jacques and Eddie sold the business to current owners Jerry and John Amato, who expanded the menu but changed little else. Today, Mother’s remains a regular haunt for locals and tourists alike, who line up to order now-iconic dishes like roast beef “debris” (pronounced DAY-bree), the “World’s Best” baked ham, and decadent bread pudding laced with brandy butter sauce. Mother’s is undeniably one of the most iconic restaurants in all of New Orleans!
This package serves 12 people and includes
- 1 pan Bread Pudding (5 lbs.)
- 1 container Brandy sauce (32 oz.)
- Most of the alcoholic content in the brandy sauce has been cooked out, leaving behind only the essence of its flavor
- Bread Pudding & Brandy Sauce – French Bread (Enriched Wheat Flour, Barley Malt, Niacin, Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Salt, Yeast, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Wheat Gluten, Enzymes, Potassium Bromate, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Peroxide), Whole Milk, Unsalted Butter (Cream, Natural Flavor), Eggs, Sugar, Fruit Cocktail (Peaches, Water, Pears, Grapes, Sugar, Pineapple Sectors, Halved Cherries, Artificially Colored Red With Carmine), Seasoning, Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Vanilla Flavor, Butter, Cream, Natural Flavor), Sugar, Brandy, Seasonings, Nutmeg, Cinnamon. Contains Milk, Egg, Wheat, Soybean Oil.
Instructions / Storage
- Items ship fresh with ice packs, may thaw during transit.
- Upon arrival, store items in the refrigerator.
- Items last up to 4 days in the refrigerator, do not freeze.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Transfer bread pudding into an oven-proof dish or pan (cover or seal with foil to avoid drying it out).
- Reheat in oven for 20-30 minutes.
Brandy Sauce – Boiling
- Using tongs, gently place the sealed bag into an appropriately-sized pot of boiling water.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes, carefully stirring the bag with tongs from time to time to distribute food.
- Once heated, use the tongs to remove the bag from the water.
- Snip the bag open and empty contents into separate heatproof serving dishes.
Brandy Sauce – Stove Top
- Pour contents into saucepan and heat over medium heat very slowly, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- Remove from heat and empty contents onto a serving plate.
Bread Pudding + Brandy Sauce Assembly
- Drizzle brandy sauce over warm bread pudding.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Mother’s Restaurant ships Wednesday and Thursday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.