A staple of Momofuku’s restaurant Majordōmo, the whole plate shortrib is seasoned with Korean BBQ marinade, salt, and black pepper. It is the perfect marriage of Korean and Texas BBQ traditions!
The shortrib arrives par-sliced. All you have to do is reheat it in the oven and present it at your dinner table before easily slicing and serving. In the spirit of “ssäm,” which is Korean for “enclosed” or “wrapped,” you’re encouraged to use lettuce (not included) to make wraps which can be garnished with the condiments provided. Also included is a fried rice kit with detailed instructions.
Few chefs, and restaurants, have done more to influence restaurant dining in America over the past two decades than David Chang and his Momofuku. But what’s today a certified empire with restaurants around the world began way back in 2004, with the opening of Momofuku Noodle Bar in New York City. From then on Momofuku became synonymous with edgy, super-inventive spins on Asian cuisine in casual, minimalist dining rooms.
Recommended fresh ingredients to acquire for lettuce wraps: Bibb Lettuce, Lemon
This package serves 3-4 people and includes:
- 1 Whole Plate Short Rib (each 5 – 6.5 lbs.)
- 8 oz. Kimchi
- 8 oz. Soy Pickled Daikon & Jalapeño
- 1.5 lbs. Cooked Short Grain Rice
- 4 oz. Ssamjang
- 1.5 oz. Salt and Pepper Sesame Oil
- 1 oz. Prepared Horseradish
- 0.4 oz. Sesame & Perilla Seeds
Beef, Soy Sauce, Brown Sugar, Salt, Black Pepper, Pear Juice (Pear Puree, Sugar, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acide, Natural Flavor), Apple Juice, Garlic, Ginger, Napa Cabbage, Gochugaru (Korean Chili Flake), Shrimp, Fish Sauce (Anchovies, Water, Fructose & Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein), Scallion, Sugar, Daikon, Jalapeno, Sake, Rice Wine Vinegar, Canola Oil, Sesame Oil, Shiro Miso (Soy Beans, Rice, Salt, Potassium Sorbate), Gochujang ( Fermented Rice (Rice, Water, Salt, Aspergillus Oryzae), Corn Syrup, 11.3% Chilli Powder, Water, Fermented Soypaste (Water, Soybeans, Salt, Aspergillus Oryzae), Alcohol, Salt, Wheatextract, Fermented Soysauce (Soybeans, Water, Salt) , Wheat, Alcohol Yeast Extract, Garlic Concentrate), Rice, Butter, Sesame Seeds, Perilla Seeds, Prepared Horseradish (Parsnips, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Horseradish, Salt, Cane Sugar, Artificial Flavoring)
Instructions / Storage
- This package ships with ice packs, may thaw in transit.
- Upon arrival, remove contents from packaging and store under refrigeration until ready to use.
- Whole Plate Short Rib can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- If meat is still frozen or partially frozen upon receipt, allow to thaw fully in the refrigerator.
- When the meat has thawed and you are ready to re-heat, remove from refrigerator and leave out at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 F.
- To unwrap from the plastic, flip the ribs upside down so that the bones are facing up and slice a large X across the plastic with a knife.
- This will make it easy to peel away the plastic without cutting any of the meat.
- Place the meat, bone side down, in a roasting pan or dish and add water in the roasting pan.
- The water should come up to about ¼” on the sides of the container.
- Cover the pan tightly on top with aluminum foil.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the meat from the oven and remove the aluminum foil.
- The rib is already pre-sliced, so all you have to do to check for doneness is to feel in between the slices at the center.
- Gently peel back and feel in between the slices at the center of the ribs.
- It should be at least warm to the touch if not hot.
- If it is still cool at the bone, put the aluminum foil back on and put the ribs back in the oven for another 5-15 minutes or until meat is warmed through.
- Once meat is warmed through, remove the aluminum foil and continue warming the meat in the oven, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove ribs from roasting pan and place on a cutting board with the lean end facing away from you.
- With a sharp knife, start with the first outside lean end slice and follow the slice down to just above the bone with your knife.
- Hold onto the slice with one hand while using your knife to then separate the bottom of the slice from the ribs.
- Place on a warmed serving platter.
- Repeat for as many slices as you like, keeping that last fattier slices for the rice.
- Remove the remaining fattier slices, as well as any meat left on and between the bones, for your beef rice.
- On a cutting board, mince the meat and place to the side.
- Place rice and chopped meat together in a non-stick pan or microwavable bowl and heat until warm.
- Add the ingredients in the rice kit to taste and mix well.
- Remember, horseradish packs a kick! Taste as you go when adding.
- Squeeze juice from half of a fresh lemon (not included) or more to taste over the top of the rice.
- Serve included condiments alongside the sliced meat.
- We recommend serving with bibb lettuce cups so that everyone can build their own wraps.
- Enjoy the beef rice on the side.
- Momofuku ships Monday through Friday each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.