These shiitake mushroom buns are a new mainstay on the menu at David Chang’s Momofuku Noodle bar in New York’s East Village. Since the restaurant first opened in 2004, it has served numerous steamed buns on its menu starting with the pork bun, but the mushroom has endured as a longtime fan-favorite.
Shiitake mushrooms are sliced and soy-marinated. All you have to do is saute them on your stove, then assemble your steamed buns!
Few chefs, and restaurants, have done more to influence restaurant dining in America over the past two decades than David Chang and his Momofuku. But what’s today a certified empire with restaurants around the world began way back in 2004, with the opening of Momofuku Noodle Bar in New York City. From then on Momofuku became synonymous with edgy, super-inventive spins on Asian cuisine in casual, minimalist dining rooms.
This package serves 8-12 people and includes everything you need to make 24 Shiitake Mushroom buns:
- 70 oz. Cooked Soy Marinated Shiitake Mushrooms (sliced)
- 18 oz. Pickled Cucumber Slices
- 18 oz. Hoisin Sauce
- 24 Steamed Buns
- Choose to add more!
Add On Options Include:
- 1 Jar of Chili Crunch
- 2 Jars of Chili Crunch
- Jars of Chili Crunch are 5.3 oz. each.
Recommended fresh ingredients to acquire: Scallions (to slice for garnishing shiitake buns)
Shiitake Mushrooms – Kosher Salt, Sugar, Garlic, Ginger, Scallions, Gochugaru (korean chili flakes), Cucumber, Rice Wine vinegar, Sherry vinegar, Soy sauce, Mirin Cooking Rice wine.
Hoisin Sauce – (Sugar, water, fermented soybean paste (water, salt, soybeans, wheat flour), salt, sweet potato powder, caramel color, modified corn starch, sesame paste, dehydrated garlic, spices, salted chili peppers (chili peppers, salt), acetic acid, red 40.),
Steamed Buns – (Wheat Flour, Water, Sugar, Soy Bean Oil, Milk Powder, Vegetable Shortening (Palm Oil & Soy Bean Oil), Yeast, Baking Powder (Sodium Acid Pyro Phosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate/Baking Soda, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sodium Bicarbonate.)
Chili Crunch – Grapeseed Oil, Puya Chile, Coconut Sugar, Onion, Garlic, Sesame Seeds, Japones Chiles, Chili de Arbol, Shiitake Mushroom Powder, Salt, Red Bell Pepper Powder, Shallots (Freeze-fried), Yeast Extract, Seaweed. Contains: Sesame
Instructions / Storage
- This package ships with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, remove contents from packaging and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Leftover Shiitake Mushrooms (uncooked) may be frozen
- Buns will last 2-3 days in the fridge, but are best consumed as soon as possible.
- Freezing is not recommended
- Chili Crunch can be stored at room temperature and is shelf stable
Steam the Buns
- Place buns onto a plate that has been lightly greased with oil.
- Spray some water onto the buns, then plastic wrap the whole plate tightly.
- Microwave in 15 seconds intervals until the buns are soft and consume immediately.
- Steam the buns directly in a steamer pot, lined with parchment paper, over simmering water.
- This will take 2-3 minutes. Steam until soft and fluffy throughout.
Assemble the Buns
- Buns would need to be steamed prior to starting this process.
- Drain the shiitake mushrooms well on a sieve/colander.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet, or a well-seasoned cast iron skillet, on low-medium heat.
- Add a thin film of oil to the skillet, and saute the mushrooms in the pan.
- The pan should not be overcrowded, and best to just have 1 layer of mushrooms in the skillet.
- Cook the mushrooms for about 30-45 seconds, before giving them a toss in the pan. There should be some caramelization, but not too dark or burnt.
- Once the mushrooms have been heated through, drain it on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Split the steamed buns at the seam, and apply hoisin sauce liberally on both sides of the buns, place a few slices of pickled cucumbers on the bottom side, and spoon a good amount of mushrooms over the cucumbers.
- Fold the top side over, serve and consume immediately.
- Momofuku ships Monday through Friday each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.