Just add eggs!
The Ko Egg is one of the most iconic dishes from the tasting menu of Momofuku Ko. Created by David Chang and the team at Momofuku Ko, this dish is elegant, playful, and most importantly delicious!
This kit provides almost everything you need to create this classic at home. This dish is a study in balance: the richness of a soft-cooked egg and buttery onion soubise, the crisp of fingerling potato chips, the luxury of caviar, the brightness of fresh herbs, smoked salt, and the unique tang of benimosu, Japanese purple sweet potato vinegar.
Few chefs, and restaurants, have done more to influence restaurant dining in America over the past two decades than David Chang and his Momofuku. But what’s today a certified empire with restaurants around the world began way back in 2004, with the opening of Momofuku Noodle Bar in New York City. From then on Momofuku became synonymous with edgy, super-inventive spins on Asian cuisine in casual, minimalist dining rooms.
Eggs are not included with this kit
This package serves 4 people and includes everything you need to make 4 Ko Eggs:
- 1 oz. Osetra Caviar
- 8 g Chervil and Chives
- 5 g Smoked Salt
- 100 g Onion Soubise
- 40 g Fingerling Potato Chips
Ko Egg – Fingerling Potato Chips, Canola Oil, Salt, Chervil, Chive, Sweet Potato Vinegar, Cherrywood Smoked Salt, Butter, Onion, Osetra Caviar, White Pepper
Instructions / Storage
- This package ships with ice packs, may thaw in transit.
- Upon arrival, remove all contents from shipping package and refrigerate only the onion soubise, herbs, and caviar. Do not freeze. Store other items at room temperature. Use within 5 days.
- You will need one chicken egg per person served, but plan to make a few extra eggs, just in case.
- Small Saucepan, Large Saucepan, Timer, Slotted Spoon, Mixing Bowl, Ice, Paring Knife, Tablespoon
Make the Eggs
- Pull eggs from fridge and temper on the counter, 30 mins to 12 hours.
- Bring a large pot of water (about 4 quarts) to a strong simmer. Have a timer ready.
- Gently lower the eggs, in their shells, into the simmering water with a slotted spoon. Set timer for 4 minutes and 45 seconds. Some eggs will crack, though they should still be usable.
- While the eggs cook, prepare an ice water bath for the eggs in a large, deep mixing bowl. When the timer rings, use the spoon to transfer the eggs to the ice water. Begin to peel the eggs when they are cool enough to handle.
- This is the tricky bit! Very gently, tap all around the egg’s shell with the back of a teaspoon. You want to create small cracks in the shell without damaging the egg white. Peel the eggs while they are submerged in water. Don’t worry if a little egg white comes off.
- If not serving immediately, store in the fridge for up to 8 hours.
- To reheat, bring a pot of water to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat. Gently lower eggs into water for 2 minutes.
- When ready to plate, remove onion soubise from packaging and reheat on the stovetop, using a small saucepan on a low flame. Stir constantly until the onions are just steaming, and remove from heat.
- Begin assembly in wide, shallow bowls.
- Spoon a generous tablespoon of onion soubise, just off-center. Next to it, place a small bunch of the chervil and chive. To the left of the herbs, pile up a handful of fingerling potato chips.
- Set one whole egg on top of the onions, and with a small knife, slice the egg white open a third of the way; try not to pierce the egg yolk.
- Spoon a teaspoon of caviar into the opening of the egg.
- Squeeze benimosu on the edge of the onion soubise.
- Finish with a pinch of smoked salt on the egg. Serve immediately.
- Momofuku ships Monday through Friday each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.