Traditional Kuchen Variety - 4 Pack
This package give you the chance to taste the Old Country with four of Karen’s most traditional Kuchen: Apricot, Cottage Cheese, Prune, and Streusel.
What is a Kuchen (Koo-Ken)? Somewhere between a cake, pie, and custard, Kuchens came to North Dakota from Germans from Russia and are objectively better when made by a grandma.
Karen Schwandt, who is the namesake, brains, and heart behind the Karen’s Kuchens, credits her success to Grandma Steam. Schwandt describes this as her “German stubbornness and determination to get something done on time” as well as the desire honor her Mother and her heritage by producing this German ethnic food the Old World way.
The Old Way is to say “I love you” with food. With a special treat like kuchen, the tradition lives on.
This package serves 24-36 people and includes 4 Kuchens
- Each Kuchen serves 6-8 people and measures 8"
- Apricot – Canned apricots used for this kuchen. Another traditional flavor. Cinamon and sugar sprinkled on top
- Cottage Cheese – Another traditional old-time flavor, only cottage cheese was homemade back then. A creamy cheesy taste sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Karen’s mom’s favorite kuchen. A lot of family members like this one.
- Prune – The Classic Kuchen and oldest flavor in the kuchen family and so loved by the Germanic people. Creamy custard, prunes and topped with sugar and nutmeg
- Streusel – Karen’s plain Jane kuchen. Vanilla flavored custard with a crunchy streusel topping. One of the kuchens has to be just “simple”.
Basic Ingredients: flour, cream, eggs, sugar, milk, shortening, yeast, water, salt
Instructions / Storage
- Kuchens ship frozen with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Kuchens arrive ready to enjoy
- Refrigerate or freeze upon arrival
- Kuchens may be kept refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to a year
- To serve, allow kuchen to thaw if frozen, remove packaging, and enjoy!
- Kuchens are great warmed up in the microwave
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Karen’s Kuchen ships Monday – Thursday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.