The Cape Gooseberry is native to Brazil but long ago became naturalized in the highlands of Peru and Chile and became identified with the region. It was being grown in England in 1774 and was cultivated by early settlers at the Cape of Good Hope before 1807. Soon after introduction to the Cape, the plant was carried to Australia where it quickly spread into the wild. Seeds were taken to Hawaii before 1825 and the plant is naturalized on all the islands at medium and somewhat higher altitudes. This exotic fruit may now be enjoyed in two pies; the Crumb and the Cream. You’ll find the refreshing and light flavor similar to a mix of peach and mandarin orange. The Crumb Pie is a delicate Flaky Pastry shell filled with slow-cooked berries with a hint of nutmeg, finished with a traditional butter crumb. In the Cream Pie, we start with a Flaky Pastry shell, adding a thin layer of Cape Gooseberry coulis followed by a generous layer of vanilla pastry cream and finished with Cape Gooseberry coulis and toasted almond.
Each package includes 2 Gooseberry Pies- 1 Gooseberry Crumb Pie and 1 Gooseberry Cream Pie
- Each pie is 9" and serves 8-10 people
Cape Gooseberry, sugar, nutmeg, cornstarch, (filling) butter, cinnamon. brown sugar, White sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, ( crumb topping) sweetened condensed milk, whole milk.egg yolk, butter. vanilla
Instructions / Storage
- Pies are baked fresh, cooled, frozen, packed frozen with dry ice in custom foam insulated boxes. They arrive fully cooked.
- Thaw for 25 minutes and enjoy.
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- It’s Easy As Pie ships Monday-Thursday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.