“Pulpo en Su Tinta” Octopus Taco Kit for 4-6
This unique taco is made with wild-caught octopus from the Gulf of Mexico and a thick & umami-rich calamari ink soffrito. It all sits on top of a handmade tortilla!
The traditional flavors of Mexico’s coastal regions are on full display at Holbox, located inside Los Angeles’ must-visit Mercado la Paloma. Holbox is the passion project of chef Gilberto Cetina, who was born on the Yucatan Peninsula, spent his childhood diving for conch and octopus, and learned to cook alongside his father at his family’s LA restaurant, Chichen Itza. In 2017 he opened Holbox, a seafood stand that focuses on fresh ingredients, bold flavors, and simple preparations. These dishes will transport you straight to the Mexican coast!
This package serves 4-6 people and includes everything you need to make 12 “Pulpo en Su Tinta” Octopus Tacos:
- 12 Octopus Tentacles, uncooked (18 oz. Total)
- Calamari Ink Sofrito (16 oz.)
- 14 Par-Cooked Organic, Non-GMO Corn Tortillas (14 oz. Total)
- Grape Tomatoes & Chives (8 oz.)
- Octopus Tentacles measure 4-5"
- Tortillas measure 5"
Octopus, Onion, Tomato, White Wine, Olive Oil, Calamari Ink Sofrito, Chives, Habanero Pepper, Garlic, Corn
Instructions / Storage
- Ships with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, place kit in the refrigerator, make sure the octopus has completely thawed before cooking.
- Kit can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Do not freeze.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium-high heat
- Once pan is hot, add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil or olive oil (not included in kit)
- Gently drop in octopus tentacles (A), we recommend using a splatter guard
- Cook until well browned on first side, flip & repeat
- Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate
- Lower heat and add calamari ink sofrito (B) to reheat in the pan
- Heat another frying pan, saute pan or flat griddle
- Drop tortillas (C) on hot pan for about 30-40 seconds
- Flip and repeat for another 30 seconds, repeat once more.
- Set aside wrapped in cloth towel to keep warm.
- Repeat for each tortilla
- Put calamari ink sofrito down on each tortilla
- Put an octopus tentacle on each taco
- Garnish with grape tomatoes & chives (D)
- Holbox ships Wednesday and Thursdays of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.