Diver Scallop Taco Kit for 4-6
This taco is pure seafood luxury! Pan-seared Maine diver scallops sit atop a handmade corn tortilla along with caramelized onions, tomatoes, marinated fennel, and a complex chile x’catic sauce.
The traditional flavors of Mexico’s coastal regions are on full display at Holbox, located inside Los Angeles’ must-visit Mercado la Paloma. Holbox is the passion project of chef Gilberto Cetina, who was born on the Yucatan Peninsula, spent his childhood diving for conch and octopus, and learned to cook alongside his father at his family’s LA restaurant, Chichen Itza. In 2017 he opened Holbox, a seafood stand that focuses on fresh ingredients, bold flavors, and simple preparations. These dishes will transport you straight to the Mexican coast!
This package serves 4-6 people and includes everything you need to make 12 Scallop Tacos:
- 12-18 Scallops, uncooked (18 oz. Total)
- Grape Tomatoes (4 oz.)
- Caramelized Onions (10 oz.)
- Fennel (4 oz.)
- 14 Par-Cooked Organic, Non-GMO Corn Tortillas (14 oz. Total)
- Vinaigrette (3 oz.)
- Chile X’catic Sauce (4 oz.)
- Tortillas measure 5"
- White Wine not included
Suggested Wine Pairing Options Include:
- Sauvignon Blanc
- Pinot Grigio
Scallops, Onions, Tomatoes, White Wine, Butter, Yellow Chiles, Chipotle Chiles, Bay Leaf, Olive Oil, Fennel, Lemon Juice, Corn, Chives
Instructions / Storage
- Ships with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- Upon arrival, place kit in the refrigerator, make sure the scallops has completely thawed before cooking.
- Kit can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Do not freeze.
- Heat a nonstick pan on medium-high heat
- Lightly season all scallops (A) on both sides with salt
- When hot, add 1 tbsp of vegetable oil, olive oil or clarified butter (not provided in kit).
- Place scallops in the pan, gently press down
- Cook until well browned, flip & repeat
- Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Lower heat and add tomato-onion mixture (B) to pan
- Lightly season with salt and add white wine (C)
- Cook until wine evaporates and remove from heat
- Heat another frying pan, saute pan or flat griddle
- Drop tortillas (D) on hot pan for about 30-40 seconds
- Flip and repeat wait 30 seconds, repeat once more.
- Set aside wrapped in a cloth towel to keep warm. Repeat for each tortilla (D).
- In a bowl mix sliced fennel & chives (E) with vinaigrette (F)
- Mix well and set aside
- Put X’catic sauce (G) down on tortilla
- Then put on the tomato-onion mixture
- Slice each scallop in half and arrange 3 halves per taco
- Top each taco with marinated fennel
- Holbox ships Wednesday and Thursdays of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.