While many who have celebrated Jewish holidays recall dry flavorless honey cakes at Rosh Hashana time, this version would certainly change their minds. This honey cake is uber moist, rich, and complex thanks to its secret ingredients of grated apples and stout beer. It has that quintessential deep honey flavor, accented by a dash of spice, tartness from the apples, and bitterness from the beer.
After years of working in some of the U.S. most iconic restaurants, Chef Tova du Plessis decided to go back to her roots when she opened her Jewish bakery in Philadelphia in 2016. Reflecting her Jewish heritage and heavily influenced by her technical training, Essen Bakery bakes challah, babka, bagels, and more from scratch daily. Essen Bakery is a cozy neighborhood bakery with a big reputation. du Plessis has received 4 consecutive James Beard Award nominations and a Starchefs Rising Star award in 2019.
This package serves 16 people and includes 2 Honey Cakes.
- Each Apple Cake is approximately 8" in diameter, 3" tall, and weighs 2.5 lbs.
- Apple cakes serve 8 people each
Flour, Honey, Eggs, Canola Oil, Sugar, Beer, Apples, Salt, Spices (Including Cinnamon), Vanilla Extract. Made In A Facility That Uses Nuts.
Instructions / Storage
- Honey cakes ship frozen with ice packs, may thaw during transit.
- Upon arrival, store honey cake in the refrigerator or in the freezer.
- Honey cake lasts up to 3 days in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer.
- If frozen, thaw at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy!
- Essen Bakery ships Monday – Wednesday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.