Essen’s best seller, this babka is made from a yeasted dough enhanced with lemon zest and real vanilla, and generously layered with gooey chocolate filling, Valrhona chocolate chips, and crumbled locally sourced halva.
After years of working in some of America’s most iconic restaurants, Chef Tova du Plessis decided to go back to her roots when she opened her first bakery in Philadelphia in 2016. Her food reflects her Jewish heritage while being heavily influenced by her technical training. Essen Bakery is a cozy neighborhood bakery with a big reputation, including du Plessis’ 4 consecutive James Beard Award nominations and Starchefs Rising Star award in 2019. Everything is baked from scratch daily, including challah, babka, bagels, and buttery pastries.
This package serves 12 people and includes 2 Chocolate Halva Babkas
- Each Chocolate Babka is approximately 9" long, 3" wide, and weighs 2 lbs.
- Each Babka serves approximately 6 people.
Yeast, Milk, Eggs, Flour, Butter, Sugar, Salt, Lemon Zest, Vanilla, Chocolate, Cinnamon, and Halva (Sesame Confection). Made in a Facility That Uses Nuts
Instructions / Storage
- Upon arrival, enjoy Babka immediately or store in fridge.
- Babka can be stored in the fridge for 5 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
- Babka can be served at room temperature or warmed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Remove packaging and place baked goods on a baking sheet
- Heat for 5 minutes and remove from the oven
- Allow to rest for 15 minutes
- Essen Bakery ships Monday – Wednesday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.