Vegan 15-Grain Rice Pot Kit for 2
Donabe (clay pot) dishes have a rich history in Japanese cuisine and are still treasured as a warm and comforting way to eat well. Our steamed rice pot is made with a vegan kelp dashi marinade, seasoned hijiki seaweed, and edamame.
Be sure to add on EN’s signature homemade tofu kit! If you’ve never experienced freshly-made tofu before, this dish will change your life. Served warm or cold, the silky texture of fresh tofu finished with wari-joyu and a little sea salt will transport you to Japan.
EN Japanese Brasserie was founded by star restaurateur Reika Alexander in New York City’s West Village in 2004, and since then it’s established itself as the city’s premier destination for seasonally-inspired, authentic Japanese cuisine. The true flavors of Japan are presented in its thoughtful and nuanced offerings, which have been beloved by in-the-know New Yorkers for more than 15 years and can now be enjoyed in the comfort of your own home.
This package serves 2 people and includes all the ingredients you need to make 1 Vegan 15-Grain Rice Pot Kit.
- Choose to add a Homemade DIY Tofu Kit!
- Choose to add a Thermometer!
Rice Pot Ingredients Include:
- Hijiki Salad (Sea Vegetable) (2.3 oz)
- Dashi (Broth) (9.7 oz)
- Rice (11.8 oz)
Obanzai (Vegetables) Include:
- Satsumaimo (Sweet Potato) (4.6 oz)
- Zenmai (Fiddlehead Ferns) (3.2 oz)
- Kinoko (Mushroom) (3.17 oz)
Homemade DIY Tofu Kit Add-On
- Soy Milk (1 ltr.)
- Nigari – Solidifying Agent (20 ml)
- Wari-joyu – A slightly sweet mix of soy sauce and fish broth (2 oz.)
- Kit serves 2-3 people
Hijiki Salad: Seaweed, Boiled Soybean, Carrots, Fried Tofu, Gluten Free Soy Sauce, Sugar, Mirin, Water, Edamame
Dashi: Water, Kombu, Dried Shiitake Mushroom, Mirin, Sake, Usukuchi Soy Sauce, White Soy Sauce, Salt
Kinoko: Maitake Mushroom, Shimeji Mushroom, Enoki Mushroom, Shiitake Mushroom
Zenmai: Fiddlehead Ferns, Gluten-Free Soy Sauce, Sugar, Sake, Mirin, Sesame Oil, Shichimi Togarashi (Pepper), Salt
Satsumaimo: Japanese Sweet Potatoes, Sugar, Light Soy Sauce, Edamame, Bonito Flakes, Dashi (Bonito Flakes, Water, Kelp)
Homemade Tofu Kit – Soy Milk, Nigari (Natural Magnesium Chloride)
Instructions / Storage
- This kit ships frozen with ice packs, may thaw in transit
- If you’re planning on enjoying this meal kit the day after it arrives, keep the hijiki, edamame, dashi, and obanzai in the fridge until you’re ready to cook.
- If you want to save this kit for another day, keep the hijiki, edamame, dashi, and obanzai in the fridge until you’re ready to cook. The obanzai can stay in the fridge for 3-4 days or you can freeze everything for up to 1 month.
Hijiki Rice Pot
- Empty the rice out into a strainer with a bowl underneath it.
- Run cold water over the rice, mixing with your hands a few times. The water should be clear and not cloudy.
- Run cold water over the rice and let it spill out over the bowl for 10 minutes. Alternatively, you could soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Strain the rice from the water and let it dry for 5 minutes.
- Combine the dried rice with kombu dashi in a pot with a lid. If you do not have a lid, you can cover the pot tightly with aluminum foil.
- Cook the rice on high heat until the dashi starts to boil (you will see the aluminum foil puff up), at that point turn the fire down to low and cook for 16 minutes.
- After 16 minutes remove the pot from the heat, place hijiki mix on top of the rice and cover.
- Steam for an additional 8 minutes.
- Mix well and enjoy!
- Arrange nicely on a plate.
- Enjoy cold or at room temperature.
- En Japanese Brasserie ships Wednesday-Friday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.
Corporate Gift Orders
You can send this item to up to 15 different addresses using our regular checkout. Looking to send this item to more than 15 people? Have our Corporate Gifting Team assist you.