Emmy Squared Pizza Kit
- Kit is made-to-order
- Although each box is carefully packed with ice packs and picked up for immediate shipment, it is normal for the dough and ice packs to partially thaw during shipment
- Upon receipt place dough in the freezer
- Put the tomato sauce, cheese, pepperoni, and jalapenos into the fridge
- Honey can stay at room temperature
- Store all components for the cocktail in the refrigerator
I am so excited to have you in class this week to learn the ins and outs of making our Detroit-style pizza! Please find below some helpful information + instructions to prepare for class. When your pizza-kit arrives:
- Open and unpack the box
- What to do with the pizza dough:
- Leave the dough in the bag and place it in freezer overnight.
- In the morning on the day of class, take the dough out of the freezer.
- Place dough into the center of your well-buttered pan, uncovered; allow to thaw for one hour.
- Once dough is thawed and soft, gently press it to the edges of the pan .
- Cover the pan and let the dough proof at room temperature for two hours.
- After two hours, put pan into the refrigerator until class.
- What to do with the rest of the ingredients
- Put the tomato sauce, cheese, pepperoni, and jalapenos into the fridge. Honey can stay at room temperature.
- Please note: the yeast, sugar, flour, salt, and oil will be used during class. Measure out as follows to prepare for class:
- 1/3 tsp yeast
- 1/3 tsp sugar
- 1/2 T oil
- 1+ 1/3 C flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- What to do with the components of the cocktail:
- Fill and freeze the ice cube trays overnight.
- Store all remaining components for the cocktail in the refrigerator
Pizza Pan Care Guide
About Your Pan
- Your kit includes a specialty Detroit-style pizza pan.
- Please note the pan has a seasoned coating and as it is being shipped together with refrigerated ingredients this can cause some oxidation/ blemishes̤ DO NOT use soap and water to clean the pan; instead, use salt and oil as you would with iron cookware.
- These specialty pans are meant to be seasoned by use
- They will get better with time, like a cast iron skillet
When Your Pan Arrives
- STEP 1: If need be, wipe pan clean of any blemishes that may have resulted from oxidation during transit.
- STEP 2: Gently scrub the pan with the coarse side of a dry sponge. This is a dry scrub with no water! DO NOT USE ANY WATER ON PIZZA PANS as this will cause rust̤
- STEP 3: Add a small amount (less than a tsp) of Kosher Salt to the pizza pan.
- Using a paper towel, rub salt gently into the pan to absorb excess grease or blemishes.
- Wipe clean of salt. DO NOT USE WATER ON PIZZA PAN but dry paper towel instead.
- STEP 4: Add a small amount of canola or similar vegetable oil (1 T) and rub into the entire pan as evenly as possible.
- This oil coating will act to “season” your pizza pan for future use while baking your pizza. Each use will further the pan’s seasoning, similar to a cast iron skillet. Once wiped clear of excess oil, the pan will be ready for fresh dough!
To Clean Your Pan
- STEP 1: After removing pizza from pan, wipe clean of any crumbs or particulates
- STEP 2: Keep pizza pan in a dry place separate from other dishes to prevent oxidation
- STEP 3: Repeat process above of gentle dry scrub (you may only need the salt if there is a lot of residue, otherwise this step can be sometimes omitted), wipe with dry paper towel; coat with oil finish
Kitchen Tools Needed:
For the cocktail:
- Cocktail shaker (or mason jar) Something to strain with
- Tall glass for cocktail
- Oven mitts
- Pizza-cutter (or kitchen knife)
- Cutting board
For Dough Making:
- Medium-sized mixing bowl Measuring cups and spoons
- Olive oil
- Saran wrap or lid for mixing bowl
If you have any urgent questions before the event, please email me: firstname.lastname@example.org and I will do my best to support your needs in getting prepared for our time together. Looking forward to making pizza with you!
Emily (aka Emmy)