The Cowgirl Starter Course Cheese Collection
Sue Conley and Peggy Smith founded Cowgirl Creamery in the early 1990s, with the mission to help West Marin’s farms and dairies get their delicious products into the hands of the finest local chefs. Nearly 30 years later, Cowgirl Creamery is an icon in the industry. In 2010, Sue and Peggy were inducted into the prestigious Guilde des Fromagers. They have both also received James Beard Awards for “significant and lasting achievements and contributions to the food and beverage industry for ten or more years.”
With a beginning like this, who needs the rest of the meal? This Collection includes everything you need for the perfect cheese plate: gourmet cheese, prosciutto, jam, nuts, and crisps.
Cowgirl Creamery • Petaluma, CA
As a respectful nod to the majestic beauty of Mt Tamalpais, located a few miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County, Cowgirl Creamery named its signature cheese Mt Tam. Creamy and elegant, Mt Tam coats your tongue with a rich, buttery flavor that carries an earthy hint of white mushrooms. The triple-cream Mt Tam is made from unblended, organic, single-herd milk from Straus Family Creamery.
Estero Gold Reserve
Valley Ford Cheese Company • Valley Ford, CA
The Bianchi family has owned and operated their 640 acre ranch since 1918 and began producing cheese in 2008. Estero Gold Reserve is made from raw milk and aged for about 16 months, giving the cheese a hard texture and sweet flavors of fruit that is reminiscent of Parmigiano.
Bellwether Farms • Petaluma, California
Pepato pays homage to the aged sheep’s milk cheeses of Tuscany, a basket-molded pecorino made exclusively from Bellwether’s pastured flock. In a twist on their classic San Andreas, peppercorns are added to the curd to provide a delicate heat and warming spice. Whether thinly shaved or crumbled into morsels.
Humboldt Fog Mini
Cypress Grove • Aracata, CA
Elegant and luscious, this three-week-old cheese pays homage to classic French Morbier by running a thin line of grey vegetable ash through its creamy, white center. As Humboldt Fog ages, its subtle tanginess grows more pronounced and a runny edge of thick and delicious ooze begins to develop under the rind and drift to the center of the cheese.
This package includes 4 of Cowgirl Creamery’s Signature Cheeses plus more:
- 8 oz. Mt. Tam – Cowgirl Creamery’s signature cheese that coats your tongue with a rich, buttery flavor that carries an earthy hint of white mushrooms
- 12 oz. Estero Gold Reserve – Aged for about 16 months, with a hard texture and sweet flavors of fruit that are reminiscent of Parmigiano
- 3.5 oz. Pepato – This cheese pays homage to the aged sheep’s milk cheeses of Tuscany, a basket-molded pecorino made exclusively from Bellwether’s pastured flock
- 16 oz. Humboldt Fog Mini – This three-week-old cheese pays homage to classic French Morbier by running a thin line of grey vegetable ash through its creamy, white center.
- 2 oz. Prosciutto Americano – Humanely raised, antibiotic-free pork, sea salt, and organic spices. No sugar, nitrates, or nitrites
- 9 oz. Fruit Preserves – WeLoveJam has been producing their Blenheim apricot jam from one of the last remaining Blenheim orchards in California’s Santa Clara Valley
- 4 oz. Roasted Almonds
- 12 oz. Carmona Mix Spanish Olives – Natural, brine-cured olives from the Spanish Southwest. Cornicabra, Gordal, Verdial, Zorzalena, and Cuquillo varieties combine in a symphony of textures, aromas, and flavors
- 5 oz. Artisan Crisps – Rustic Bakery provides these sweet and crunchy crisps made with simple, high-quality ingredients
- 6 oz. Cowgirl Sea Salt and Olive Oil Crackers- Crispy organic flatbread crackers are baked locally especially for Cowgirl Creamery
Contains: Dairy, Gluten, Nuts, Pork
Instructions / Storage
- Cheeses ship with gel packs, gel packs may thaw in transit
- Expect cheese to arrive at room temperature
- Upon arrival please refrigerate
- Cheese is stable at room temperature, however, it is best stored in the refrigerator
- For optimum enjoyment, please enjoy your cheese within 1-2 weeks. Soft cheeses should be enjoyed sooner
- Remove your cheese from the refrigerator at least an hour before serving, unwrap it, and place it on a cheese board or butcher paper
- Cover with an inverted bowl. This allows the cheese to breathe and protect it while it comes to room temperature.
There is Mold on My Cheese!
- Traditional cheeses are often made with natural rinds that display a variety of colorful molds and bumpy textures. These rinds protect the cheese as it ages while contributing to its unique flavor profile
- Bacteria and mold are essential components of cheese. When cut and wrapped, molds and surface oils can develop on the face of the cheese. Simply scrape the surface with a knife to remove before serving.
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Cowgirl Creamery ships Monday – Wednesday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.