Bourke Street Bakery’s signature white sourdough is their simplest loaf, yet one of the most complex in detail to produce. The long bake time is essential to coax every bit of caramelization out of the crust and produce many levels of crisp, bubbly and chewy layers in the tasting experience.
The crumb is creamy, irregular, open and a true fragrant expression of the character of our natural leaven and long fermentation time (41-48 hours). It has a balanced acid profile but will gain significant aging acid aroma and flavor.
Founded in 2004 by Paul Allam and David McGuinness, Bourke Street Bakery was born & bred on the other side of the world on a charming, tree lined street on a now famous little corner in Sydney, Australia. Over 15 years later, the bakery now has 13 branches in Australia, and Allam moved to New York to open their first location in NYC. This “Australian High Temple of Sourdough" (Eater NY), uses mostly local ingredients, including grains from Maine that are milled on-site. These loaves are so popular, he even posts the exact time they’ll be ready so eager customers can get them fresh from the oven!
This package includes 2 Organic White Wheat Sourdough Loaf
- Each loaf serves 12 people and is approximately 1¾ lbs. and measures 10″ × 6.5″ × 4.5″
- Arrived Unsliced
Organic white flour, salt, malt, natural levain
Instructions / Storage
- Sourdough arrives ready to enjoy
- Wrap in wax wrap or cling wrap for optimum freshness, no need to refrigerate
- May be kept at room temperature for 3-4 days, or well wrapped and frozen for up to a month
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Bourke Street Bakery ships Wednesday & Thursday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.