Organic Sourdough - Choose Your Own 2 Loaves
Founded in 2004 by Paul Allam and David McGuinness, Bourke Street Bakery was born & bred on the other side of the world on a charming, tree-lined street on a now-famous little corner in Sydney, Australia. Over 15 years later, the bakery now has 13 branches in Australia, and Allam moved to New York to open their first location in NYC. This “Australian High Temple of Sourdough" (Eater NY), uses mostly local ingredients, including grains from Maine that are milled on-site. These loaves are so popular, he even posts the exact time they’ll be ready so eager customers can get them fresh from the oven!
This package includes your choice of 2 Organic Sourdough Loaves
- Each loaf serves 12 people and is approximately 1¾ lbs.
- Arrives Unsliced
Organic Sourdough Options Include
- White Wheat Sourdough – “Bourke Street Bakery’s signature white sourdough is our simplest loaf, yet one of the most complex in detail to produce. The crumb is creamy, irregular, open and a true fragrant expression of the character of the natural leaven and long fermentation time (Measures 10” x 6.5″ × 4.5″)
- Seedy Sourdough – Like an elevated Multigrain featuring a nutritious blend of flavorful seeds in the interior loaf with a little kick from some cracked rye sourdough culture. The crust is completely coated with sesame seeds. The result is a very dark roasted sesame flavor, which is cut by the interior seeds being unroasted with an almost green fresh flavor to balance (Measures 8″ × 7″ × 4″)
- Whole Wheat Sourdough – Whole meal sourdough is highlighted by the sweetness of freshly ground coarse wheat flour The crumb is sticky and moist, but still has open irregular glossy cells. Its mild sourness compliments the natural grassy flavor of whole wheat and the resulting chewy sweet crust (Measures 10″ × 6.5″ × 4.5″)
- Turmeric & Black Pepper Sourdough – Tumeric is front and center of this loaf without being bitter. The beautiful color and aroma of turmeric with the addition of black pepper provides health benefits, due to the compounds curcumin and piperine. The buttery-ness of durum wheat really rounds out the flavor and chewy texture to the finish (Measures 10″ × 6.5″ × 4.5″)
- Dried Plum & Currant Sourdough – The ultimate sweet and sour loaf featuring a tart but sweet plum that caramelizes when baked that easily melds with the dark crust and lingering sourdough flavor (Measures 9″ × 5.5″ × 3.5″)
- White Wheat Sourdough – Organic white flour, salt, malt, natural levain
- Seedy Sourdough – Organic white flour, salt, malt, natural levain, pepita,poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, rye levain
- Whole Wheat Sourdough – Milled wholewheat berry, wholewheat flour, white wheat flour, salt, natural levain
- Turmeric & Black Pepper Sourdough – Organic white flour, salt, malt, natural levain, durum, turmeric, black pepper
- Dried Plum & Currant Sourdough – Organic white flour, salt, malt, natural levain, rye levain, currants, dried plums
Instructions / Storage
- Sourdough arrives ready to enjoy
- Wrap in wax wrap or cling wrap for optimum freshness, no need to refrigerate
- May be kept at room temperature for 3-4 days, or well wrapped and frozen for up to a month
- Items are prepared fresh and shipped directly from the shop
- Bourke Street Bakery ships Wednesday & Thursday of each week
- Orders cannot be shipped to P.O. Boxes
- Orders shipped to Alaska and Hawaii via 2-day will incur an additional $20 charge or $35 for Overnight Shipping. Sorry guys!
- Have more questions about Shipping? Read our Shipping FAQ page.